Strawberry jam wine help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christianredhat

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just made a strawberry jam wine from an old homebrew Recipe book. It's looking good so far but the recipe suggests using a Sauternes wine yeast goof for 16%..I don't have this, but I have got some Alcotec yeast, or I could use a GP wine yeast. I know the Alcotec yeast is good for 20% where as the GP yeast probably only 12+. Would the Alcotec taste ok for this I haven't used it before or maybe the GP yeast is ok? I could back sweeten after the brewing?

Your help welcome thx and a happy new year
Christian

I have never used either yeast, but if I were I would go with the Alcotec as you will ensure you get to .990 with no problem. Just make sure you use a good nutrient. The GP yeast will usually have nutrient mixed in.

Thank you, the Alcotec yeast has nutrient in it already i think so I shall try that and see what happens!

Would you be willing to share the recipe? Something i would love to try.

u could also use something like a champagne yeast or youngs super wine yeast-both go up to 18% and probably taste less funky-gd idea btw one i may give a go once some djs free up

wilsoa1111 said:
u could also use something like a champagne yeast or youngs super wine yeast-both go up to 18% and probably taste less funky-gd idea btw one i may give a go once some djs free up
+1, Young's Super would be what I'd reach for - but I'd also adjust the recipe down to 12% for personal preference.

I would try another yeast next time but i need to add yeast asap and only have access to either the GP or the Alcotec Yeasts available..:-( Serves me right for getting excited about a recipe and not reading it carefully enough before starting the process..

Latest posts

Back