strawberry ribena wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea i saw that thread the other day i think that is what im gonna have to do to try and get it going will see if theres nowt by tomorrow ill give that a try

well i finnaly got this going today im getting 2 bubbles per minute so its going slow but its going

was reading the instructions on the yeast nutrient i have and i added no where near enough it says for dry table wines add 1 tsp per 4.5 litres
for sweet wines add 2 to 3
for high alcohol strongly flavoured wines use up to 5

spo to start off i added 3 tsp as this is a sweet wine i think but nothing so added 3 more spoons and im at where i am now going slow

but now i dont know if i should add anymore to get it going better or leave it what says you

the nutrients im using are called (tron o zymol) if that helps

Whoa! Stop! No More Nutrient!

How much you add is more to do with your starting gravity. If it's a table wine, let's say OG 1.090-ish, one to two tsps is plenty. Whether you ferment that out to dryness, or stop it short is entirely down to your personal tastes.

If you are intending to make a sweet wine with a high OG, let's say 1.125, and are going to finish it around 1.015, that's when you might add a bit more nutrient.

If you are making rocket fuel, let's say OG 1.150 and want it to ferment out to 1.000, that's when you might use a lot of nutrient.

Adding too much nutrient isn't necessarily a good thing.

It's going, check your airlock is fitted properly then leave it alone.
Is it in a warm enough place, somewhere around 20°C?

well as you know this is rocket fuel

i tried adding another yeast in some warm water and sugar that did nothing so i added more nutrient ive only gone over by about 2 tsp as the og is 1.145

its currently sat in the kitchen at 18 oc with a tea towel wrapped round it

bung is fitted correctly its something i always make sure of

do not add anymore yeast or nutrient, ive had one of these and its not showed anything in the airlock but it femented down to .990. if i was you i would just leave it alone for 2 - 3 weeks.

well its finally finished it stands at just over 11%

so now i have 3 demi jons awaiting more recipes to try any suggestions

this is for my notes

ive just started another ribena

this time ive added

1 litre strawberry ribena
1 litre cranberry juice
600g sugar
1/2 tsp tannin
1/2 tsp citric acid
1 1/2 tsp nutrient
1 tsp glycerine

toped up to 4 litres with a og of 1.110 so

if topped up with water it would be 1.097 not sure yet may top up with some more sugar

have u not gone for any Grape or cranberry juice?

Ive got 2 on atm, one with 1.5 litrs of cranberry and one with 500mls of white grape and 500mls of Cranberry. Just want to see what the difference is :geek:

yea forgot about that got 1 litre cranberry

its not doing alot at the minute but will just keep shaking it round and leave it for a couple of days

Have got a strawberry ribena and cranberry and a blackberry and apple on the go and have just racked the strawberry one after nearly two weeks fermenting.

It tastes very very very very sweet! I have only made them in a 1 gallon demi-john. Should they have been done in a 5 gallon one?

I have a sweet tooth but they are very sweet!

Recipes are usually for 1 gallon unless they state otherwise.

Do you have a hydrometer and, if so, what does it read?

I've never used Strawberry Ribena, is it the same as the Blackcurrant in that there's a regular version and a “no added sugar” variety? Did you check the label?

Latest posts

Back