Struggling to get my head around the water chemistry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyWhippet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm struggling with the calculators to get my water right for brewing. Until now I have just used the water as it comes out the tap as it tastes fine but I do want to start getting the profile correct for different beer styles.

I live in a hard water area, here are my values from my water report:

Alkalinity (mgHCO3/l): 325
Calcium (mgCa/l): 119
Hardness (mgCaCO3/l): 298
pH: 7.1
Sodium (mgNa/l): 9.2
Chloride (mgCl/l): 21
Sulphate (mgSO4/l): 11
*no reading for Magnesium

Is the water too hard? Should I look at using bottled water? Should I concentrate more on the pH of the mash more than anything? One calculator suggested using a Carbonate Reducing Solution, would this be a good idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm struggling with the calculators to get my water right for brewing. Until now I have just used the water as it comes out the tap as it tastes fine but I do want to start getting the profile correct for different beer styles.

I live in a hard water area, here are my values from my water report:

Alkalinity (mgHCO3/l): 325
Calcium (mgCa/l): 119
Hardness (mgCaCO3/l): 298
pH: 7.1
Sodium (mgNa/l): 9.2
Chloride (mgCl/l): 21
Sulphate (mgSO4/l): 11
*no reading for Magnesium

Is the water too hard? Should I look at using bottled water? Should I concentrate more on the pH of the mash more than anything? One calculator suggested using a Carbonate Reducing Solution, would this be a good idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with Clint, @strange-steve calculator (i'll dig out the link and post) works really well, i've used it for the 1st time recently and the beer is just so much better. I also started with Tesco Ashbeck water rather than my local Portsmouth water because it's a far better starting canvas to adjust than a public supply and cheap too.
@strange-steve also posted some target profiles to aim at for different beer styles, I used his IPA profile and i'm so pleased with the result. Can't thank him enough. clapa

Another +1 for Strange Steve’s post. It can seem like a ridiculously complex subject but he manages to make it very approachable.
I’m also a fan of bottled water. I use the stuff from Lidl as there’s very little in it so can be adjusted to suit whatever you’re brewing.

Agree that Strange Steves post is one of the most understandable posts on the subject and well worth a read. Also I found this Video fairly easy to follow and then if you watch this video it may help, it did me anyway.

Latest posts

Back