Stuck fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
I stuck a milestone APA kit on to brew on Friday and I have checked it today and there is no sin of life coming from the airlock. The kit was a couple of months out of date so I rehydrated the yeast before pitching and added 500g light DME to the brew and it was fermenting nicely. Anyone got an opinion on this? Has it fermented out nice and quick or are you thinking the same as me that I have a stuck fermentation?

It's not necessarily stuck, it's not unusual for fermentation to be mostly complete in 3 or 4 days. Give it a week then check the gravity, the hydrometer is the only way of knowing for sure.

What temp did it ferment at? I'm struggling to keep my brews cool in this weather, I had one do in 6 days and that was a strong one 1060-1010. The only way you'll know for sure is by dropping a hydrometer in.

Do you know how much yeast came with the kit - was it a large or small packet? The reason being that Wherry is known for regularly sticking and many think it's because it comes with a small 7g packet of yeast, rather than the 11g packet that's standard with most other kits. Wherry is made by Munton, as are the Milestone kits (and many others), hence the question
http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/other-products/other-branded-homebrew-kits/

11g danstar yeast if memory serves me correct. It's been fermenting at a stable temp of 22°, maybe a degree variance either side. It was going crazy within 12hrs of pitching and was still fermenting last night. I got up this morning and there is nothing. I will drop a hydrometer in and see what's happening.

Back