Sugar in Bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNVET

Reaction score
Just had the first couple of bottles of St Peters IPA and very impressed, however, I was expecting a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle but not sugar!
I primed the bottles with 1/2 teaspoon per bottle and it would appear that the sugar has not dissolved at all, just sat there?
Should I have given the bottles a bit of a shake after capping or is this the norm?
Cheers

How many days since bottling? Does the beer taste sweet?
I hope you gave the bottles 2 weeks somewhere warm.

You're better dissolving the sugar with a little boiling water and then stirring into your beer when you're ready to bottle after you have racked it (transferred from your primary fermentor to your secondary). Failing that giving the bottles a shake whilst they are carbonating doesn't hurt either.

I used Wilko's brewing sugar straight into the bottle, left for 3 days in the kitchen then 3 weeks in a cupboard under the stairs that stays at a constant 14C. This is my first bottling experience as always used a barrel before. The beer is nice and clear, smooth to drink but as asked is slightly sweet initially. My intention is to leave it for a few more weeks before having another taste.
Thanks for the replies and advice

If not batch priming, I always turn my bottles upside down the day after bottling, then leaving in warm for the regulation fortnight. Not had a problem with undissolved sugar.

The little bottler I use does tend to swirl it around as the bottle fills - this probably helps too?

When I started I also tried the beer after two weeks and found rather green unless bottles were left in a warm area. Today nothing even tried until bottles two months drinking a Harvest Bitter bottled 8th Sept 2013 at the moment had a break in brewing over Christmas so by end of month will be starting beer bottled 17th January started 27 December 2013.

I store in my shed and temperature can vary a lot when low on stock would always leave in kitchen a week after bottling before going in shed. With couple of months between going in and coming out tend to put in shed next day to get out of my wife's way.

I used Wilko's brewing sugar straight into the bottle, left for 3 days in the kitchen then 3 weeks in a cupboard under the stairs that stays at a constant 14C. This is my first bottling experience as always used a barrel before. The beer is nice and clear, smooth to drink but as asked is slightly sweet initially. My intention is to leave it for a few more weeks before having another taste.
Thanks for the replies and advice

The best advice on the forum is 2 wks in the warm, 2 wks in the cool.
So, you could move it back in the warm for a week and then then back in the "Harry Potter" under the stairs. :p

Putting it another way, 3 days is not enough to carb up bottled beer with the weather as it has been recently. My current bottled brew is only half way there after a week in the "warm".

You could give it a bit of a swirl for luck, but at the end of the day, you don't hide a sugar lump at the bottom of a bottle of home brewed beer with any expectation of finding it a month later. :drink:

Yes, what slid says above. 2 weeks in the warm, not 3 days. I do give mine a shake but it really isn't necessary.

Back