Suggestions for an autumn ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm thinking of brewing a 25l batch of autumn ale in the next few weeks in order to let it have a couple of months conditioning ready for when autumn hits (it'll be kind of hard to tell at the moment!).
Since I normally prefer IPAs, pale ales and wheat beers, I'm not too sure about what exactly I should use for such a beer. I want something with some rich rich, warm flavours that isn't as heavy as a stout or a porter. I'm at a loss for some obvious examples but Fullers brewery did a superb seasonal ale last year called Red Fox if anyone has ever tried that.

Anyway, at present I have the following malts available and I can always go out and get more yeast and hops:

Pale malt,
Munich,
Amber,
Crystal,
Dark Crystal,
Pale Chocolate,
Malted Wheat,
Torrifed Wheat.

I was thinking of using a base of pale malt with around 10% Crystal and 3% Dark Crystal for colour, with 5% wheat for some head retention, maybe adding a little brown sugar to increase the OG. As for hops, I was thinking of some low AA English hops (Beata, Fuggles or Goldings, etc) and using either a S-04 or a Nottingham yeast.
What are your thoughts? Any suggestions?

I'm doing an elderberry stout as soon as the elderberries are ripe ready to drink for the winter solstice :drink: . Basically it is a stout with the juice of elderberries added to the boiler in the last 15 mins. 1lb of elderberries per gallon of beer.

Latest posts

Back