Summer ales taste smoky

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all.

About a month ago I made AG6&7 in a double batch split day brewing session.

Unfortunately I took the opportunity to also do a "home brewery tour" with 4 work mates, which turned into a big session. Needless to say, I only partly remember the first batch's mashing and remember almost nothing about the second batch's mashing. I then had the hangover of all hangovers for both of the boils the next day. It was a cracking night though, but suboptimal brewing conditions!

Anyway, my beer (5 gallons of Summer Lightning and 5 gallons of Golden Ale) has been bottled for a couple of weeks now and I tried a couple last night.

The results were rather surprising. Clearly they are very very young and need some more conditioning time, but both brews have a very smoky aroma which makes them taste a little bit like dish water (this is a little harsh, they are drinkable, but the after-taste us a little odd).

The only thing that I think could have caused this is my grain storage bin. I keep my 25 kg bag of base malt in a large food bin and have a small collection of darker malts (including chocolate and black malt) sitting on top of the sack inside the bin. The bags are loosely sealed, but not air-tight and the bin smells strongly of the dark malts when I lift the lid. Is it possible that this is enough to taint the base malt flavour to this level?

If not, is there anything I might have done elsewhere in the process to cause this taste?

Thanks all.

Robbo100

young beers can taste and smell of anything for the first few weeks, mostly the off flavors disappear as the beer matures.

Grain storage I've not come across anyone mentioning cross contamination of the grains, but I try and keep the 25kg of base malt separate from the smaller bags of specialty grains, especially the ones with a strong aroma.
Most important is to make sure your grains are dry and fresh as they can easily go slightly musty, especially if they come under attack from the rodent population !

Other than that I can't think of anything " process " wise that could cause it.

The grain was all good, so I will cross my fingers and wait a couple more weeks and try again.

Thanks for the reassurance.

One was a SO4 packet, the other was WLP02. They both have the same smoky taste, but from completely different yeast sources.

After some time, my memory may be clearing slightly and I seem to recall that I may have added a small amount of torrified wheat (I can't remember how much though). Could this be the cause?

P.S. the flavour has mellowed slightly, but remains.

Never during (too much) and brew!

Back