Summit/Chinook/Cascade IIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryfdez

Reaction score
Hey guys! first post here :)

Im fairly new to homebrewing...this will be my 5th batch. Im shooting for a really hoppy/bitter IPA...I guess this would be more of an Imperial IPA since the IBUs are so high. I love citrusy, hoppy, bitter beers...I want you guys to chime in on what you think of this recipe I came up with. If you have any suggestions or changes you think I might do then please let me know!...It will be a 5gal batch. Extract with steeping grains. Full wort boil. Heres the link to the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1314119/impe ... erest-iipa

If you have any experience with summit hops Id like to hear about it, Ive heard some good, some bad...nevertheless Im using them to bitter this one, I have a total of 5oz of the summit but chose to use just 2oz at 60mins...if you think I should add more at some point in the boil let me know.

hmm...thats weird...Ill write it down then.

6.6lbs Briess Golden Light LME (half will be added at the start of the boil, the other half along with the AmberDME will be added with 15mins left)
3lbs Briess Sparkling Amber DME
1lb Carapils
1lb Vienna Malt

2oz Summit @ 60mins
1oz Chinook @ 15mins
0.5oz Chinook @ 5mins
1oz Cascade @ 1mins

Dry Hop with 1.5oz Chinook and 1oz Cascade for 7days after fermentation is complete.
Wyeast American Ale 1056

half whirfloc tablet @ 15mins
1 servomyces yeast nutrient tablet at 10mins

OG is supposed to come out at 1.076 and finish at 1.019. Color 8 SRM. 200 IBU.

Chinook is a great hop! Be careful on the IBU's these too sing great together at 15, 5 and 0min hops but if the beer is too bitter at the kettle stage it can over power. You end up conditioning the beer so long before its at its peak so that the aroma flavour disappears!

Back