Super thick mouth feel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently treated myself to a few Vault City beers. Love their stuff and can only get a small selection at the supermarket so why not?

Apart from the sourness, I really love how thick their beers are but then lots of them are also pretty high on the abv so I assumed the two went hand in hand and, with a good dose of lactose, that's where the thick and creamy texture came from.

Yesterday, however, I had their Tahiti Treat, weighing in at just 2.5% abv and it's vegan so no lactose. I was surprised to find it still had that super thick and creamy mouth feel.

How do they do this? I've brewed a few sours but they always come out quite thin which spoils it for me. I know a couple of tricks like mashing a little higher and adding some oats and wheat, but I still can't get anywhere near their level of viscosity. And I don't want to add any lactose either.

Anybody managed this and got some tips?

Have you thought about addition of calcium chloride to your brew water? It should help boost the thicker mouth feel that you're after. I've tried a stout recipe both with and without (I do add lactose as well) but definitely prefer the one with the addition as it was creamier and smoother.

It could possibly be from yeast selection or high mash temperature. Windsor / M15 yeast will give you 60% attenuation maximum. And if you mash hot at say 70-72C, you can also keep a lot of unfermentable sugars in there. Do both, and holy moly.

Interesting ideas folks. When I've tried fruit additions in my beers they just ferment out but then if using a low attenuating yeast, maybe it would retain some of the thickness and the fruit flavour.

I have played a little (not much) with water chemistry but found results to be negligible so far. Maybe I'm being too conservative with my additions?

Mashing really hot might be the key. I'm thinking loads of wheat and oats, mash hot and get a really high OG. Low attenuating yeast following a kettle souring, and maybe we'd be in the ball park. Add a couple of pouches of fruit puree and whoo ha!

If you've not tried one of their beers it's hard to imagine just how thick they are. I'm surprised there aren't more homebrew recipes/clones out there.

Just out of curiosity how have you soured your Base beers? Never made one before but the boss would snap my hand off for a batch as she loves sours

So far I've used Philly Sour Yeast. It's a fairly simple pitch and forget process. Results were a refreshing summertime beer which was sour but not to the level I was wanting. Next time, however, I'm going to use Cross My Loof 3.5 yeast which you pitch and then monitor the ph until it gets down to the desired sourness at which point you pitch another yeast of your choice to halt the souring process and complete fermentation. I'm going to try all of the above mentioned suggestions too in order to get it as thick as possible. Think I'll just go for a small batch tho, just incase.

I think it's the sheer amount fruit they use. Partially fermented and pasteurised, then force carbed.

I would say oats in a decent quantity are a pretty significant factor, as well as malted or flaked wheat, to a lesser extent. A hefty amount of Munich would also help although I don't know if it's used in sours.

Last edited:
Thanks for those responses. I'll definitely try dropping them an email and I'll feedback any response. I'll maybe be cheeky and ask about their souring process and choice of yeasts too. The one I tried on Sunday evening ( FruitFool: Mango, Raspberry Vanilla – Vault City x Yonder) had their typical fruity sour kick, but then had a Belgium farmhouse style after taste too which really added to the enjoyment. Amazing beer.

Thanks for those responses. I'll definitely try dropping them an email and I'll feedback any response. I'll maybe be cheeky and ask about their souring process and choice of yeasts too. The one I tried on Sunday evening ( FruitFool: Mango, Raspberry Vanilla – Vault City x Yonder) had their typical fruity sour kick, but then had a Belgium farmhouse style after taste too which really added to the enjoyment. Amazing beer.

I know they developed their own sour blend.

Back