Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i made the orange wow it was too dry for my taste, as Mrs Tea likes dry wine i decided to sweeten each bottle i was going to drink just before drinking it, i used 2 teaspoons of sugar in each 2 litre bottle and shook it until it dissolved this did the trick, my next wow variant was pomegranate and WGJ, this did not need sweetening and neither did the raspberry & WGJ and cranberry & WGJ versions i made next, the RGJ and apple i now make also does not need sweetening.

Added finings the other day, as they didn't seem to be clearing naturally.

Sampled them all at the same time too, as did the Mrs. She's in love with all of them to be honest, but I must say, I'm quite taken by the Orange WOW, I will certainly be making more of it in the future, possibly not as strong (12% this time around), but definately worth another go.

Just got two more on the go, WGJ + 2 X 1l Cherry juice drink, and WGJ + 2 X 1l Apple & Blackcurrant to which I'm going to try adding a bottle of Malina as a primer. ..

Are you in the UK? Can I ask where you are finding White grape juice please? I cant find it in any supermarket near me. Ive heard Waitrose do it but that's 30 miles away and its about £1.75 a litre.
What is Malina? Ive never heard of that.

I was in tesco today and saw that they do cawston press 100% apple and elderflower, and also Apple and rhubarb. I was wondering if anyone had used either of these to make wine with? I used to love elderflower wine, so I am thinking of using that one, either with a red grape juice for a rose, or if I can find some white grape juice, just a white.
Rhubarb in a wine sounds intriguing also....

Cheers!

Andy

lidl sell red grape juice for £1.00 per litre carton and asda sell white grape juice for around the same price, aldi used to sell both but stopped through lack of demand

lidl sell red grape juice for £1.00 per litre carton and asda sell white grape juice for around the same price, aldi used to sell both but stopped through lack of demand

Asda don't sell WGJ unfortunately. They've removed it from both the shelves and the website.

Waitrose and Ocado are the stockists at the moment.

Aldi have lots of juices in but no WGJ or RGJ. Lidl have RGJ.

From extensive searching, and endless reading.

Grape juice is in short supply, or at least white is. The drought, followed by intense rain has killed off most of the supply in white, red being harvested later seems to have survived.

I got some wgj from asda Bolton in August I will check to see if they still sell it and get back to you

My first two WOWs, both started 12/11 appear to have ceased activity.
One is: 1l pure apple juice, 750ml Welch's purple grape, 1l Tesco Fruits of forest drink (part water).
The other, less promising, is 1l OJ + 1l Fruit of Forest drink. I brewed both slightly short .
Gravity readings today are: exactly 0990, and the orange one slightly higher but not much.
The apple, grape & FOF smells lovely! Also tastes ok, considering how unfinished it currently is. Tastes very strong. My 'plan' (I have a plan? ( :confused: ) is:
To rack both to secondary as soon as I'm sure fermentation is over. The promising one will be topped up slightly with water, the orange one will have a bottle of Malina raspberry cordial added to it as an experement (Taste, carbonation, abv).
Anything else I should know/do?

Don't rack until a week after it has finished as you need to let the yeast clean up after itself, not doing so can leave you with a wine that could give you a headache or worse bad guts.

So..... I just read the first 10 or so pages of this thread where most of the recipes are, and I'm still not sure what I should make next. I have 2 litres of Lidl red grape juice. I have already made a gallon of RGJ/Apple, so I want to try something else with the RGJ, in the absence of any WGJ. What does everyone recommend?
Cheers

Andy

I am not keen on orange but it may be worth a try, pomegranate, raspberry, or some other red. Juice would work.

There is a recipe only thread in the recipe forum which is basically this thread with all the non recipe posts removed.

So..... I just read the first 10 or so pages of this thread where most of the recipes are, and I'm still not sure what I should make next. I have 2 litres of Lidl red grape juice. I have already made a gallon of RGJ/Apple, so I want to try something else with the RGJ, in the absence of any WGJ. What does everyone recommend?
Cheers
Andy

Morrisons have some good fresh juices. I got a couple to make my next juice wine. 2 for £2.50.
Grape & Berry.
Grape 73%. Strawberry 20%. Raspberry 5%. Blackcurrant 2%
Apple & Mango. Apple 85%. Mango 15%

Cant wait to start it but waiting to bottle my last lot.

Hi, i'm new to this forum and would just like to say I got a bit cheesed off trying to find wgj so I decided to use Richie white grape concentrate with good results, also from time to time Morrisons have litre cartons of Apple and Pear juice for 80p per litre.

Welcome to the forum stopsign :cheers:

Red grape juice seems to be much easier to get hold of, it makes a decent Rosé wine with a carton of apple juice.

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and they have white grape juice and peach juice drink, 25% WGJ, 15% peach. On offer at 3 X 1l cartons for £3.
Not a perfect WGJ substitute but sounds delicious and as soon as I have a free dj I'll be getting some.
As an aside, they also had a decent range of pure juices including Clementine, Apple and Mango, Orange Mango & Passionfruit, Tropical and Apple & Pear.

EDIT:
Sorry, where are my manners!
Welcome stopsign.

Just sampled a red grape and apple and it's very watery, weak like water in the mouth, Is that normal ?

Scaff

Latest posts

Back