Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Draco said:
[quote="Chippy_Tea":t75tznlq]Glad to hear they worked out, i am mid way through clearing 3 DJ's of apple/raspberry and WGJ (waiting half an hour to add Kwik clear part B) i used powdered tannin and no citric acid on this batch and i can tell the difference already, i will give them a week before i do a proper taste comparison.

A word of warning, if you decide to use powdered tannin do not put it into the DJ it clumps like lumps in gravy, the best method i have found is to keep a couple of table spoons of the sugar for each DJ in cup, mix in the tannin then add to a sterilised cup of warm water and stir until it has all dissolved. :thumb:

Is the powdered Tannin better than tea bag mix then?[/quote:t75tznlq]

I have just finished my first wine using powdered tannin and it does taste different, I also missed out the citric acid so its difficult to compare the two, I think its better but not by much.

Update
Just found Chippy's post 1st Oct for a 23L. Answers my questions about the quantities of the usual suspects, but I have seen some posts where people are putting in between 14 - 15l of grape juice and juice combined but this one only has 10 in total or am I reading this wrong, was it 5L of apple AND 5L of raspberry?

I only use 1 litre of 100% apple/raspberry and 1 litre of WGJ in a DJ and that is strong enough for me and Mrs Tea so i multiplied it by 5 for the 23.5 litre bucket.

I imagine 14 - 15 litres of juice would taste like alcopop, fine if that's what you like but it is really not necessary.

Chippy_Tea said:
[quote="El Draco":ibhdwv30][quote="Chippy_Tea":ibhdwv30]Glad to hear they worked out, i am mid way through clearing 3 DJ's of apple/raspberry and WGJ (waiting half an hour to add Kwik clear part B) i used powdered tannin and no citric acid on this batch and i can tell the difference already, i will give them a week before i do a proper taste comparison.

A word of warning, if you decide to use powdered tannin do not put it into the DJ it clumps like lumps in gravy, the best method i have found is to keep a couple of table spoons of the sugar for each DJ in cup, mix in the tannin then add to a sterilised cup of warm water and stir until it has all dissolved. :thumb:

Is the powdered Tannin better than tea bag mix then?[/quote:ibhdwv30]

I have just finished my first wine using powdered tannin and it does taste different, I also missed out the citric acid so its difficult to compare the two, I think its better but not by much.[/quote:ibhdwv30]

We had a bottle of this last night and we both agree it is better than the tea bag version, maybe because it is less acidic or maybe because it does not taste of tea or maybe a bit of both, now i have found a way to stop it clumping i will not be going back to tea bags even though its a cheaper way of making it and i am a tight barsteward. :lol:

Chippy_Tea said:
I only use 1 litre of 100% apple/raspberry and 1 litre of WGJ in a DJ and that is strong enough for me and Mrs Tea so i multiplied it by 5 for the 23.5 litre bucket.

I imagine 14 - 15 litres of juice would taste like alcopop, fine if that's what you like but it is really not necessary.

Cheers will give it a bash.. :cheers:

Can I just confirm what you make the water level up to - 25L?

I really need to start writing stuff down! I think I'm drinking 1l RGJ, 1l cherry, 1l blueberry and apple? Juice drink and pomegranate juice drink, 600g sugar and usuals. Very cherry but nice chilled I like it, mrs not sure but will mellow so she will eventually!

BrewWoo said:
I've not yet thrown it, but I'll have a taste once it's cleared and bottled. If it's not totally rank it'll get saved somewhere..

Currently got another one on the go, so will see how this one turns out. Using different yeast and it's kept in the warmth this time. It's currently bubbling away and looking like a lava lamp.

Used 3L AJ 1L RGJ, 1K of sugar in about 500ml of water. All the usual's, (2 teabag brew, pectolase, yeast nutrient, yeast and glycerin)

This has finally stopped bubbling, not a peep out of it in over 24 hours now. Time to start clearing it up. Little concerned about how it's separated though? I've not yet added any finings.

jQq8fPf.jpg

11g9wj6.jpg

Any reason it would have this clearer layer at the top?

Next steps? Recommendations?

I generally rack into another DJ leaving the sediment behind. Add a crushed campden tablet and tsp of stabiliser. Then over the next 2-3 days give the DJ a good shake 2-3 times a day to get rid off gas. Once you are happy there is no more gas add your clearing product and leave for 3- 4 days. Once cleared rack into bottles. If you are new to this is is a good idea to rack from the DJ to another DJ again leaving sediment behind prior to racking to bottles.

Rodders said:

I generally rack into another DJ leaving the sediment behind. Add a crushed campden tablet and tsp of stabiliser. Then over the next 2-3 days give the DJ a good shake 2-3 times a day to get rid off gas. Once you are happy there is no more gas add your clearing product and leave for 3- 4 days. Once cleared rack into bottles. If you are new to this is is a good idea to rack from the DJ to another DJ again leaving sediment behind prior to racking to bottles.

Degassing can be a right pain in the **** especially if its a 5 gallon bucket, you can make a degassing wand from a coat hanger that will fit in a drill, this makes the job a lot easier and you can degas a DJ it in two minutes, here is a video on how to make one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE

If you are going to buy some finings (wine clearing product) i would recommend KwiK Clear if you can get hold of it, its the best i have found and i use it regularly.

kwik-clear-wine-and-beer-finings.jpg

Chippy_Tea said:
Rodders said:

Degassing can be a right pain in the **** especially if its a 5 gallon bucket, you can make a degassing wand from a coat hanger that will fit in a drill, this makes the job a lot easier and you can degas a DJ it in two minutes, here is a video on how to make one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE

If you are going to buy some finings (wine clearing product) i would recommend KwiK Clear if you can get hold of it, its the best i have found and i use it regularly.

kwik-clear-wine-and-beer-finings.jpg

Good advice :clap:

Cheers for the advice, it's on it's way to clearing now I've added the finings. It's looking a lot clearer already and it's only been ~ 14 hours.

Will rack it off every couple of days to get rid of the sediment at the bottom.

If you racked it before stabilising, degassing and clearing there is no need to rack again, there will be a little sediment but it will not enter your racking cane when you bottle it if it has a trap.

In the secondary. Didn't think I'd want to be shaking up all the sediment/yeast at the bottom? Should I not have done so?

BrewWoo said:
In the secondary. Didn't think I'd want to be shaking up all the sediment/yeast at the bottom? Should I not have done so?

I thought when you said "Degassed, stabilized then racked into a secondary" you had done it in the original DJ then racked to a second, the way you have done it is correct, did you use a crushed campden tablet when racking?

Chips with Tea said:
BrewWoo said:
Yeah, they ain't easy to crush! A few whacks with a rolling pin soon sorted it though.

Try putting one between two teaspoons it makes the job easy.

That's how I originally tried it, but I just kept bending the spoons, haha!

Latest posts

Back