Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a couple of WOW's that are ready for bottling. A lot of sites seem to suggest that it's a good idea to add a Campden tablet before bottling. I haven't added any at all yet, as I've only just managed to get hold of some. Do you think I should add one before bottling, as if so, how long would I have to wait after adding it before I started bottling?

Did you rack to a second DJ for stabilising and clearing?

After it had finished fermenting, I syphoned it into another DJ, but haven't added anything to it so far.

If you haven't added stabiliser you might as well add the crushed campden tablet when you do, normally you rack onto the campden tablet degass add stabiliser and finally finings if you want it to clear fast.

If you haven't added stabiliser you might as well add the crushed campden tablet when you do, normally you rack onto the campden tablet degass add stabiliser and finally finings if you want it to clear fast.

Brilliant, thanks - I'll know what I'm doing on the next one!

So, if I'm adding a campden tablet before bottling, how long would I need to wait before doing the bottling? And would I just tip the powder in, or does it need mixing?

You normally give the DJ a swirl as the siphoned wine hits the CT powder as you have already filled the DJ just drop it in and shake it a little, as for time it'll take a couple of days to clear so it will be fine to drink once clear.

i started the strawberry & kiwi WOW and a apple & peach WOW

on saturday 4/6/15 and its thursday 9/6/16

5 days later and its still bubbling away around every 3 to 5 seconds

is this normal ?

Yes, there is no standard time for fermentation it could take 9 days, when it gets to 995 or less its done.

Used co ops own
1tr apple juice
2 ltrs tropical fruit juice
600g sugar
1tsp Glycerin
1tsp Yeast
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp pectin
1tsp pectolase
1/2tsp Citric Acid

Tried a small glass of this tonight, wasnt expecting much because its the first one ive done,
nice and clear in colour and omg what a lovely glass of wine it is, i can not wait for the next one to finish and sample

Drank the rest of this last night,what a lovely wine #badhead this morning :pray: it goes soon

Used co ops own
1tr apple juice
2 ltrs tropical fruit juice
600g sugar
1tsp Glycerin
1tsp Yeast
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp pectin
1tsp pectolase
1/2tsp Citric Acid

Drank the rest of this last night,what a lovely wine #badhead this morning :pray: it goes soon

Steve. Estimating the sugar, this fermented out to 10 - 11 per cent, correct?
Pete

hi is this normal still bubbling at 9 days gone but looks like this seems to be a lot of sediment used

2 ltr red grape, strawberry & kiwi juice
1 ltr apple juice
800g sugar
1tsp Glycerin
1tsp Yeast
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp pectolase
1 cup strong tea (3 bags)

and the same but
2 ltr apple & peach
and the rest

IMG_0179.JPG

Looks normal to me, the red grape strawb/kiwi does leave a lot of sediment but is a very nice wow. Can't comment on the other as I haven't done that one.

You cannot put a time on length of fermentation, orange juice and anything with purée in it tends to end up like this, i have stopped using it for that reason.

It was lovely, i added the finings to my strawberry and kiwi wine last night came in from work today and its really clear, its got a lovely colour tastes great maybe a tad on the sweet side but very pleased, think im turning into a wine :geek:

Is it OK to use tap water in the initial mix as well as for topping up?
Just that I've seen a few mentions of boiled/filtered water?
What sort of problems, if any, would you get from using tap water?

My tap water is fine so i don't boil it, i used to top up with cooled boiled water as i thought not boiling it may cause problems it never has.

Latest posts

Back