Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its PET. .............

What is PET ?

PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, a plastic resin and a form of polyester. Polyethylene terephthalate is a polymer that is formed by combining two monomers: modified ethylene glycol and purified terephthalic acid.

PET is the type of plastic labeled with the #1 code on or near the bottom of bottles and containers and is commonly used to package soft drinks, water, juice, peanut butter, salad dressings and oil, cosmetics and household cleaners.

PET is a popular package for food and non-food products. Manufacturers use PET plastic to package products because of its strength, thermo-stability and transparency. Customers choose PET because it is inexpensive, lightweight, resealable, shatter-resistant and recyclable.

Recycled polyethylene terephthalate (RPET) can be used to make many new products, including fiber for polyester carpet; fabric for T-shirts, long underwear, athletic shoes, luggage, upholstery andsweaters; fiberfill for sleeping bags and winter coats; industrial strapping, sheet and film; automotive parts, such as luggage racks, headliners, fuse boxes, bumpers, grilles and door panels; and new PET containers for both food and non-food products.

Haa. Thanks. Any idea if all supermsrket plastic is PET or they wouldnt be able to sell it would they?

Even better just found that symbol at the bottom of the side. Thanks a lot for the post...

The 5 litre spring water bottles i used when starting out had this on them but i have just checked a couple of fizzy drink bottles in the fridge and they don't have any marks.

PET1.jpg

Thank's Chewie. I gave them a ring and they have given me a wholesaler number to try. No one there at the moment but fingers crossed I can get further down the chain of supply soon.

I did find a Waitrose in Preston yesterday and picked up some WGJ there. It's a bit of a trek though.

I tried the wholesaler again for my area and this time they gave me a local shop they deliver stute juices to, the manager of which i happen to know (small world), i hope to get a chat with him in the next few weeks to see if they can order me a few cases which with a bit of luck it should bring the cost down quite a bit per litre rather than relying on courier delivered.

Just set off the following:

Aldi 1 litre Rio d'Oro Pineapple
Lidl 1.5l Vitafit apple
800g sugar
1tsp pectolase
1tsp nutrient
1tsp super wine yeast
1tsp glycerine
3 teabag brew

First attempt at white wine for a while - been on the RGJ and other fruits (rosé) for the last few.

Next challenge: taking the plunge and making a bigger batch (20 litres) - 5 litres just doesn't go far enough... :drunk::whistle:

Next challenge: taking the plunge and making a bigger batch (20 litres) - 5 litres just doesn't go far enough

If you make 22.5 litres (5 gallons) you multiply all the usual ingredients by 5 but you only need to use 3 teaspoons of yeast, i have done this several times and it has always worked, this tip was posted in the forum when i first started making this type of wine.

Just set off the following:

Aldi 1 litre Rio d'Oro Pineapple
Lidl 1.5l Vitafit apple
800g sugar
1tsp pectolase
1tsp nutrient
1tsp super wine yeast
1tsp glycerine
3 teabag brew

First attempt at white wine for a while - been on the RGJ and other fruits (rosé) for the last few.

Next challenge: taking the plunge and making a bigger batch (20 litres) - 5 litres just doesn't go far enough... :drunk::whistle:

The one gallon DJ's are excellent for the small batch recipe experiments but when you find a WoW you really like then certainly up it to 5 gallons, its less cleaning and having the staple recipe augmented by various 1 gallon brews throughout the year means it will last an awful lot longer.

Due to a cock up when syphoning one of my DJ is 3/4 of a litre short so having read others do it i have decided to top up both with apple juice and see what a difference it makes.

Has anyone tried to make a wine just with 2L or RGJ or WGJ?

I've made 2WGJ + 1AJ and it is very nice ( bit too sweet 1.000) but I think I would prefer without the apple taste.

I like the 2 litres x RGJ as just a plain rose type, its the only WoW I'l make as a 5 gallon 30 bottle batch, all other combo's i do are either 1 or 2 gallon. Due to the rarity/expense of sourcing WGJ i haven't tried a 2l x WGJ yet, i would expect it to be a fairly non descript white table wine.

Slawek if you are finding 1.0 abv to sweet try stopping the wine lower down i find .994 is a good spot, you can still detect some sweetness at .992, to me anything above .996 is going to high

Depends on the rgj. Waitrose do a pure merlot. 3 litres per gallon plus oak chips gives an excellent result. Azda do Don Simon in 2 litre cartons for £2.50. It's darker and more acidic than Azda's own brand or Lidl's Vitafit. At 3 litres per gallon plus tannin and oak chips it produces a wine similar to a generic red wine kit at a fraction of the cost. I've put it in an oak cask to see if it improves.

Just gone 10 am and have bottled and sampled 5 demijohns. All were left to 0.98 as mrs likes dry although her favourite was the sweeter one. First 4 are WoWs last was a wilko wine kit. Very annoyed that this was the mrs favourite. Here are the results:
- 2 litre muiltivit ( 8 percent carrot 92 mixed fruit and 1 red grape (rg) result = 6\10
- 2 litre pineapple 1 apple result 7/10
- 2 pineapple and passion fruit 1 rg result 7/10
- 2 pineapple 1 rg result 6/10
- wilko peach wine kit 8/10

Passion fruit smelled really good but a bit pulpy. Going to do 23 litred of pineapple and apple. Came out a nice colour and taste.... might have a kip now ;)

For the 23 litres heres my plan. What do you think? Currently have a 23 litre wine fermenter (long neck) and going to invest in another and a tap. The plan is to ferment it in the long neck and then mature in the second one with a tap and when ready drink from this. As it is air tight I hope it would not suffer from oxidation and spoil. This would save on the bottle sterilisation which takes forever....

Hi Guys

So I've started 2 demi last week, one with 2L RGJ from Lidl and second one with 2L WGJ from Waitrose ,hope to finish them by beginning of next week.

I've already finished 2 other white wines, one with 2L WGJ +1L apple juice and second with 1L WGJ + 1L apple juice and I definitely like more the one with 2 liters of grape juice.

Chewie- I was experimenting and the last one finished was .996 and I think it was right but could still try .994

Chewie- I was experimenting and the last one finished was .996 and I think it was right but could still try .994

Go for it, make a mix stopped at different readings and whatever point you get one you like note it down and stop any fermentation at that point on any further identical wines you make, everyones palate is different.

Hey chewie/chippie, what's your view on storing it in a long neck air tight fermenting wine tank with a tap instead of bottling. Do you think it will spoil?

Latest posts

Back