t/c 1st attempt stopped bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron

Reaction score
Hi
1st attempt at brewing anything,made a turbo cider on thu night,frothed up well and was bubbling like mad through the airlock.It has now stopped bubbling tho would it be finished fermenting that quick or has something gone wrong? I dont have a hydrometer yet(have one ordered tho).
Cheers
Jason

Thanks for the quick reply

So i now syphon it into another demijohn and leave it to clear is that correct?
Thanks

You can do that, i've left mine on the yeast sediment for 2 weeks before now and then bottled and it's been fine :thumb:

Got my hydrometer today
Took a reading and its 1.006
trouble is i dont know what it was to start with(tesco brand apple juice)
Is this ready?
Thanks
Jason

Tesco value AJ has a gravity of about 1.050 iirc :wha:
At 1.006 I wouls say it's got more fermenting to do, but, taste it :thumb:
If it tastes good to you drink it ;)

I just raised the temp of a sample of the cider t0 20% and took a reading again and its actually 1.002
If i add potassium sorbate just now that should stop it fermenting and leave it with some sugar in it so it tastes sweeter?
Or am italking ****?lol
Srry for all the questions and thanks for the replys :thumb:

Potassium sorbate on its own will not stop it fermenting but adding a campden tablet as well will.

Potassium sorbate should never be used on it's own as it can cause a geranium smell.

Ok have added a tablet its racked into another dj and have added finings and put it in the shed(read somewhere to keep it cool)
Big question is when should it be ready to drink? lol
:cheers:

Depends on how much residual sugar was left, what type of finings you used etc. But usually it's ready to bottle and drink after a week, probably sooner. The test I usually use is to stick a letter with standard sized font on the other side of the DJ, and if you can read it it's ready to drink.

Latest posts

Back