Has fermentation stopped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajbrook1980

Reaction score
Hello all; this is my first post and my first homebrew

For my first home brew I have started with the Wilko Rich Pickings Cider Kit. I started this on 10/02/2021 I followed the instructions using brewing sugar but added too warm water to get it 23l - the temperature was 35 C and gave a OG of 1030 - I cooled down Fermentation bucket 25 C and added the yeast, for the first night I did not have a bubble in as in my naivety didn't know it needed it - the next day I added one in the lid. The room is set at 20-21 c

The cider has been bubbling away around every 30 seconds for last 7days - I did a hydrometer reading at 6 days 16/02/2021 it come up at 1020 and again yesterday 17/02/2021 its 1020; the instructions say it should reach 1008 after 4 days.

Has fermentation stopped or do I just need to leave it longer?

Make sure your lid is back on properly. It's worth leaving a bit longer. Do you have a thermometer on the bucket? Is your room constant temperature, even through the night?

I checked the kit on their site, it shows a finished abv of 5%. Did you mix it properly and add any extra sugar? Your OG is way off what it should have been.

Last edited:
I assume the lid is on properly as the bubbler is active - I've put the thermostat in the room (much too the annoyance of my wife) to make sure it stays between 20 and 21 - I don't have a thermometer on the bucket though.

Do I just leave it or do I continue to take Hydrometer readings?

Press the lid down all the way around to check, you may have a small gap which will allow some gas to escape. You'll still get bubbles when it's at its most vigorous but maybe not when it quietens down.

Also maybe try putting something insulated between the bucket and the floor in case it's losing heat, it's hard to know without a thermometer. Wilko sell stick on ones cheap.

I've given the lid a push down - the bucket is elevated off the floor; I'll nip into wilko and get a thermometer and see if that provides answers

I am onto my 2nd batch of the same cider. Both bathes didn't seem to bubbly very much. Although there was surface action on looking through the lid top.

1st batch left it for 2 weeks in the FV, gave it a gentle stir end of week one in FV, as was concerned about the lack of airlock action. Bottled it up tried at week 2 and week 3 and its fantastic. Used 2 carb drops per 500ml bottle and carbonation is superb.

Will give this 2nd batch a little stir today, end of week 1 in FV. Then most likely bottle it up next Saturday.

Have to admit I'm struggling to be patient - the more I read in the forums the more I want to try and brew

Did you do a gravity reading - what did it end at? I used brewing sugar what did you use?
Yep used brewing sugar, 1.5kg. Gravity was in the blue on Hydrometer to start with and was then in the yellow bottling area. Cant remember specific OG/FG. I just go with the colours on the hydrometer.

I have gave both brews a gentle stir on day 7, then left for another week. The first batch is as clear as a bell and well carbonated.

Back