Taking samples from the fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Evening all,

So I've got my first ag sat in the fv bubbling away. Sitting around 18 to 19 degrees C and using the us 05 yeast so it's not aggressively bubbling but so far so good.

Anyway, I know I need to measure the gravity later on in the fermentation to check when the gravity stops falling. Since I have a tap on my fv can I use that to extract some of the wort or should I be taking a sample from the top by taking the lid off? I'm just wondering whether there would be any issues with taking from the tap on the side of the fv since that seems the better option to me.

Advice welcomed. Thanks [emoji2]

I take samples from my FV tap and have never had an issue. If you have an airlock you may need to remove it to prevent any liquid being drawn into the FV though. I also clean the tap after use and give it a spray of Starsan. And I never return the sample to the FV (that gets drunk :))

You're quite right the tap will be the safer option.

Use the tap. It's what it's there for. Always best to try not opening the lid unless it's an absolute necessity. The only thing with the tap is that all the sediment etc is down at the bottom of the FV. So the look and taste of the sample might not 100% be actually what the "good beer " sitting above it is like,but it will give you an idea of what it's going to be like.

As others have said, just use the tap. However clean it after, as fruit flies will be homing in on any drops that have dried on the tap and when you come to bottle all your freshly brewed beer will be passing over loads of bacteria on its way into the bottles where it could possibly become infected

Excellent news thanks guys. I'd assumed the tap would be best but was wondering about bacteria, so thanks for the advice. I'll use the tap and use my star san on it after use. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back