Tannin replacement for turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celera

Reaction score
After brewing beer kits for a while, I'm going to give a turbo cider or two a go. From what I've read, the juice needs tannin to taste better, but I've not got anywhere local to buy tannin powder. Wilkos do a red wine concentrate. Would that be suitable as a tannin powder replacement?

Cheers

Simple way to add tannin is to make a cup of tea with 3 tea bags in it - yes ordinary tea bags - (bout 1/2L would do it) let it sit for 30 mins then add this into the brew and count it as part of the 4 or 4.5L in the DJ

That was prior to my cider epiphany and results were poor, not enough Tannin, hence why I advocate 1 tsp per gallon of grape tannin powder.

But to answer your question probably 3 per gallon really well stewed, and that to me wasn't strong enough. :thumb:

Callum Scott got hold of some research data on the amount of tannin in a whole host of apple varieties both desert apples and cider apples. And he conferred that 1 tsp per gallon would give the same amount of tannin as you would find in your average cider apple.

But each to their own tastes. :thumb:

My very first TC didn't have tannin, and compared to the ones I do now it was rub - but still good enough for t'missus to declare we needn't buy commercial cider anymore.
So, the people who aren't using much tannin are still turning out something that's OK(ish), mostly - compared to, say, Magners.
But with the right level of tannin, and a few of the other standard tweaks, you can make some really top notch stuff.

well... mostly, if not doing MLF, get something other than AJ in there.
...and pick an AJ that tastes good to start with.
Plenty of room to experiment with different yeasts - the Yanks are into using ale yeasts, for example

Latest posts

Back