Tea bag squeezing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you squeeze your tea bag after it has steeped?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

• I don't drink tea!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I prefer to leave the tea bag in the cup until I finish it. Somehow I feel that tea isn't as strong as it used to be (or there's less tea in the bag these days). Yonks ago if you left the bag in the cup for more than five minutes the tea was undrinkable.
I also like loose tea, especially Lapsang smokey China tea.

I prefer to leave the tea bag in the cup until I finish it. Somehow I feel that tea isn't as strong as it used to be (or there's less tea in the bag these days). Yonks ago if you left the bag in the cup for more than five minutes the tea was undrinkable.

Have you tried Yorkshire tea? My favourite. I still set a 5 minute timer though while brewing it cos I'm weird, and if I don't, I'll forget I've made it 😅

I used to squeeze the bag but since I stopped having milk in tea i drink it weak and no squeeze is required. And I now think loose tea is better tbh. Environmentally for starters. I think maybe the tea itself is often better too. I make a pot and use the exact amount I need. Bags involve a huge amount of waste I suspect!

Am I the only person who uses a teapot? I can't stand tea made in a mug. Far too much tannin extract.
We put one teabag (PG Tips) into a flask of 1l, and let it infuse. Don't bother to get the teabag out until there is no more tea.

I started this thread because I'd just read that squeezing the bag extracts unwanted extra tannins and acids that will (apparently) ruin your brew. Subjective to personal tastes I guess though.

I chose 'sometimes' because I only squeeze if the brew doesn't look dark enough for me.

Bottom line for me - I'll keep squeezing when required, because it definitely doesn't ruin my brew.

I think the myriad of personal preferences for how to make/drink tea are fascinating given the relatively minor variables in the equipment and ingredients most people use at home. Subjective taste is a wonderful thing. It would be a very dull world without it.

I think maybe the tea itself is often better too.
I know someone who did a job for a tea-blending company. I can't remember the exact details, but they learnt that it was along the lines of there are 23 grades of tea, and the mainstream teabag brands only use the bottom three...

I've never liked tea, but bringing your missus a mug of tea in the morning is one of the little pleasures of life, so I've had practice over the years such that the current one reckons I make a much better cuppa than she does. She insists on two bags per mug of everything (including Yorkshire) apart from the fancy tea from the farm shop though, so I guess you can put her in the "stronger the better" category.

I use a teapot and loose leaf tea - though also to be fair also have teabags that I put loose tea in if I just want to make one cup - and will leave the bag in for ages to steep. So I'm being a fusspot as usual 🙈

Wow, I haven't had loose tea since I was a little girl - we used to have a tin to store it in and a mini sieve thingy. Really must get some and try it again!
I have a teapot at work that I refill as I go through the day usually without changing the tea leaves over so it gets weaker through the day. One meeting a few years ago when I was carrying my teapot and mug in, the staffside union rep commented in surprise that he thought I was carrying it in on a silver tray... till I pointed out it was the back of my ipad... not a use I expect IT would have approved of.

Latest posts

Back