Water treatment for tea?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure loads of us live in hard water areas and 'enjoy' hardwater tea. With or without sugar & milk.

But has anyone with AMS in the cupboard put a few ml in the kitchen kettle?

No but good idea. We have a hot water tap with some sort of anti scale and carbon filter that makes a superior brew.

I was thinking making some soda water for ‘er indoors’ from RO and additives.

We got a water softener last year with the new kitchen. Ever since then I've been and to use the bottom of the kettle as a mirror! No scum on the tea either

Do you taste the salt in the tea? Just wondered, cos this type of softener does increase sodium levels.
No. You can't taste the salt. Yes it does increase sodium levels (it swaps calcium ions in the water for sodium ones) but I can't taste the salt.

You only need to worry if you have issues with sodium in your diet. But it’s a very small amount as the salt only washes the resin bed.

Personally I took the hot water tap off the softener as it tasted a little off to me so just trust the filter to protect.

Time will tell.

So... The whole story.

I Cornwall cornish smugglers tea makes a strong orange cuppa, if you walk past the kettle with a teabag in your pocket.

Same tea in the fens is nice, but not the same colour, more 1950s grannies tights.

I thought it might be the water. Cornwall Soft vs Fenny nails which prompted... "hmm AMS"

Today I have tested it. The tea is pleasant, but not stunning change.

Clearly barking up the wrong tree, so this must be more about mineral content.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back