Temerature for adding yeast and hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarconiBrew

Reaction score
I started late this afternoon, I guess....

So, I made the Tom Caxton Real Ale brew kit, it's gone 11pm and it's still at about 24c.

I can't add the hops and yeast until it's at the most 21c, which won't happen tonight. It's unlikely I'll be able to do it in the morning, being a key worker, I'm at work. So, when I get back in the evening I can do it. So really the question is will it be ok sat all this time without hops and yeast until tomorrow evening?

It will be OK, but 24 should be fine for adding the yeast. Aren't you supposed to add the hops in a few days time towards the end of fermentation?

Get up 10 minutes earlier tomorrow morning, by which time it should have cooled some more, take the temperature, and assuming its below 22*C you should be fine to pitch the yeast.
But if you have dry hops to add leave that until the fermentation has died down, say at about day 7..
How are you going to keep the temperature stable at about 20*C?

Thanks. Well the kit says to add the hops at the early stage, but for some reason I thought it was at the same time as the yeast, so it's at yeast time or never.

Get up 10 minutes earlier tomorrow morning, by which time it should have cooled some more, take the temperature, and assuming its below 22*C you should be fine to pitch the yeast.
But if you have dry hops to add leave that until the fermentation has died down, say at about day 7..
How are you going to keep the temperature stable at about 20*C?

The room it's in stays 19-20, the kit says 18-21 is good.

For clarity, the hops were powdered enhancer packet thing.

So, I've added the yeast this evening. It wasn't until this evening that the temperature had dropped enough. How long should it be for me to start seeing the bubbling from the fermentation?

So, I've added the yeast this evening. It wasn't until this evening that the temperature had dropped enough. How long should it be for me to start seeing the bubbling from the fermentation?
Likely tomorrow morning 24 hours later at the latest.

Well it has a lovely creme on top, did so the next morning. So I'll need to just keep an eye on things.

I've got to keep an eye on the temp, it's still in the right ball park.

But in case I ever need to, can I have some recommendations please for a heat pad or blanket?

Thanks.

So, I'm getting near to the end of the barrel of this brew. Would I brew this again? A big yes I would. As I near the end of the barrel it's getting more pub like, with a good comparison to an Abbott. And I've not had to give it any more CO2 at all much to my surprise.

Interestingly with this brew I used regular castor sugar and didn't have very good temperature control and it's turned out really nice. The next time I brew this I'm going to try something a little different with the fermentables.

Latest posts

Back