Tess Tickle's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, these tea strainers are awesome for dry hopping! Thanks to David Heath for the idea!
I've given up on hop bags for dry hopping as they all fall out of suspension with a cold crash anyway, and it's a lot less faff, though these steel mesh balls do look useful too. I think they'd be good in the boil as I do find my hop spider gets awfully clogged up - I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect way to hop during the boil, to get the most circulation but also not clog everything up.

Worth a go Anna. Though you do have to consider the little metal string and hook on the end won't get caught on anything.

We hate the hop spider - we're experimenting with using the spider for the boil and a bigger fruit / brewing bag for the whirlpool.

image.jpeg

I bought this for dry hopping but prefer muslin bags.

I've given up on hop bags for dry hopping as they all fall out of suspension with a cold crash anyway, and it's a lot less faff, though these steel mesh balls do look useful too. I think they'd be good in the boil as I do find my hop spider gets awfully clogged up - I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect way to hop during the boil, to get the most circulation but also not clog everything up.

It may be from a UK seller but doesn't mean it is UK steel.

I was going to mention that for the person that was asking. I made sure mine were coming from the UK for two reasons. I wanted to make sure it wasn't cheap stuff and also because I wanted them quick. I can link where I got them if it helps @Gingerbrews
Yes please Lisa. I'd like to give them a try. Have found a UK supplier on Ebay, but it may be a different one from that you used

Here is where I got mine. Coming from Basildon - I think that's Essex lol, not sure. I'd be careful with this seller though now as it looks like they're on holiday - it says at the top of the screen. I'm sure there's others though if you want them quicker.

By the way I got the 11cm ones (biggest ones they do) I Only fill them half way and the most they'll comfortably hold to allow for expansion is about 60g each.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224228959444

Yes mine are sound. I didn't follow any recommendations when I got mine, I found them myself. Always best to do your own research I find 😁
But then recommend them to others before any trial??????

These things are all generic chinese things, made for pennies and sold for pennies.

I've been using them a couple of months with no problems, so I'm happy to recommend. But it makes sense that the buyer checks up on everything themselves. It's madness to buy something just on someone else's say so. I wouldn't do that and neither would you.

Just because you dropped on a bad one it's not fair to make sweeping generalisations. If that is your opinion though why did you buy them at all?

We all do things differently and that's fine. Me and you are absolute polar opposites 😂

Last edited:
No doubt someone will have something negative to say about this! If you do, don’t bother, I’m not interested. Only positivity from now on! Negativity helps no-one!

I'm with you on that. Even if something negative occurs I look for the +ve. I'm stuck in today in case our internal doors arrive (-ve) however that means no sunburn or putting sun cream on (+ve)

Latest posts

Back