Testing Jalapeño Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WICO PILSNER KIT WITH 6 BIRDSEYE CHILLIES
Started 30th June 2016. Out of fridge 3rd July 2016. Back in fridge (Cold Crash) 11th July 2016.
Only 650 grams of DME added along with 6 Birdseye Chillies
Kegged (4 x MKs) 13th July 2016
OG 1.040
FG 1.011
ABV 3.81%

I know my taste buds are pretty shot but I was very surprised to discover that even with six Birdseye Chillies in the brew I couldn't actually taste any significant chilli flavour.

However, the chillies steeping in a small amount of vodka have produced a drink that could set fire to an ice cube and after tasting the chilli vodka the chance of detecting any chilli flavour in the Pilsner was less than zero ... :doh: :doh:

... so I stuck the brew into 4 x MK's and they are now sat on the shelf conditioning. :thumb:

Here's hoping that the flavour develops over the next three or more weeks. :whistle:

WICO PILSNER KIT WITH 6 BIRDSEYE CHILLIES
Started 30th June 2016. Out of fridge 3rd July 2016. Back in fridge (Cold Crash) 11th July 2016.
Only 650 grams of DME added along with 6 Birdseye Chillies
Kegged (4 x MKs) 13th July 2016
OG 1.040
FG 1.011
ABV 3.81%

I know my taste buds are pretty shot but I was very surprised to discover that even with six Birdseye Chillies in the brew I couldn't actually taste any significant chilli flavour.

However, the chillies steeping in a small amount of vodka have produced a drink that could set fire to an ice cube and after tasting the chilli vodka the chance of detecting any chilli flavour in the Pilsner was less than zero ... :doh: :doh:

... so I stuck the brew into 4 x MK's and they are now sat on the shelf conditioning. :thumb:

Here's hoping that the flavour develops over the next three or more weeks. :whistle:

I'm still at a loss for why both of my test beers alone are subpar but both boiling and extracting makes such a superb pepper beer. If there's a next time I'd suggest trying that (half in the boil and half in an extract).

I'm still at a loss for why both of my test beers alone are subpar but both boiling and extracting makes such a superb pepper beer. If there's a next time I'd suggest trying that (half in the boil and half in an extract).

Will do. :thumb: (Hate being beaten by a vegetable!) :nono:

Chilli vodka flavour so hot that I feared putting any of it in with the beer, but I'm still hoping that a chilli taste will develop during conditioning. :thumb:

I tried some of aldis "stir fry" chillies in a few bottles of my 2nd batch of young's aipa.

I boiled the chillies while prepping the batch priming sugar and pushed them in after slicing of the top and making a few incisions (read it would help somewhere) and filled the bottle with the chilli inside.

One was a gusher, the others added some heat but not much in flavour.

Latest posts

Back