That sinking feeling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
....when you take the lid off the FV ready to bottle and see this asad1 Slight smell of phenol too. Took a sample from the bottom and it tasted OK, so bottled anyway. Will keep an eye on them. Suppose it had to happen sometime, got away with it for 230 brews.

brew_infection.JPG

Looks like Lactobacillus to me.
I guess you have bottled from the bottom and it may be ok as you say just keep a eye on it for bottle bombs. It could turn out ok it is that chance scenario of who knows it maybe a accidental sour?

My first thought was that the batch was ruined, but I'd prepped the bottles so thought I may as well get on with it, and taking it from the bottom as you say it tasted OK. I shall be watching them like a hawk!

Wonder how it got in there? Got a lot of fruit flies around the kitchen this time of year, could that have been the cause?

....when you take the lid off the FV ready to bottle and see this asad1 Slight smell of phenol too. Took a sample from the bottom and it tasted OK, so bottled anyway. Will keep an eye on them. Suppose it had to happen sometime, got away with it for 230 brews.

View attachment 74695
Unusual to get an infection after fermentation has finished. If it tasted OK then it should be OK. Fruit flies are attracted to beer but how did they get in and if they did get in it is unlikely they would infect a beer with the hops, low pH and alcohol in there.

How was the initial fermentation? OG, pitch rate, pitch temperature, lag phase length etc. How quickly did you reach pitching temperature from the boil. Something getting into a sealed fv is less likely than the contamination being in wort to begin with and allowed to thrive.

I got the temp down relatively quickly, but the cold tap isn't that cold this time of year so did take longer than in, say, Feb. I don't really like brewing this time of year due to all the bugs around inc fruit flies, but I ran out of my stocks over the summer, last brew back in May. I think you're right, some nasties probably got in at the kitchen brewing stage.

Hi Sandimas why not turn to using Kveik in the hottest period as the sooner you get the yeast in and active it will help.
Kveik is a beast and kicks off within hours especially if you pitch short and add nutrient so less exposure time.
It may not able you to brew with your favourite yeasts but will get your stocks up to carry you through that period.
Ps I pitch at 43c so hardly anytime before yeast is added

It sounds like you cooled it pretty quickly. If sanitation and the yeast is OK, and the lag phase is short, then anything picked up between boil and pitching shouldn't really get a foothold.

Hi Sandimas why not turn to using Kveik in the hottest period as the sooner you get the yeast in and active it will help.
Kveik is a beast and kicks off within hours especially if you pitch short and add nutrient so less exposure time.
It may not able you to brew with your favourite yeasts but will get your stocks up to carry you through that period.
Ps I pitch at 43c so hardly anytime before yeast is added
I always got musty orange from kveik especially at higher temps but loved it in a stout.

Latest posts

Back