the 1st tranche of stupid Questions on wine by FRISP begins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well so much for that idea , trawled roung all my local supermarkets today and there is no grape juice to be had. online search says the same for supermarkest.. fleabay and scamazon are charging like the light brigade.. looks like im go9nna have to rebottle her £5 a bottle pink and pretend I brewed it..

on the plus side I have a Rhubarb outside that thinks its a triffid so its gonna make the ultimate sacrifice tomorrow .

Tesco -

1716992185647.png

1716992032695.png

ASDA

1716992109001.png

Well so much for that idea , trawled roung all my local supermarkets today and there is no grape juice to be had. online search says the same for supermarkest.. fleabay and scamazon are charging like the light brigade.. looks like im go9nna have to rebottle her £5 a bottle pink and pretend I brewed it..

on the plus side I have a Rhubarb outside that thinks its a triffid so its gonna make the ultimate sacrifice tomorrow .

Yep, I failed to find any grape juice when I was making wine a few years ago. What I read at the time was that there are no "spare" grapes to make into grape juice as they either get eaten whole or go into commercial wine. You can get grape juice drink but it's not just grapes.

Wine from other things can work ok - elderflower for instance at this time of year but she might find the aroma catty. In autumn just about any fruit can be turned into some sort of wine.

Try this -

2 x litres of red or purple grape juice - 100% juice

1 x litre apple juice - 100% juice

700g sugar

1 x Teaspoon yeast

1x Teaspoon nutrient

Mug of black tea as strong as you can make it.

Quick thoughts. Dunee bang corks into screw top bottles. They are not built the same as a Corked bottle.

Please, please, don't use campden tablets. It will make your wine taste like homebrew. Hunt down some potassium metabisulphite. Add at 8g per 50l. It will make a stunning difference.

Air is your number one enemy.
Top up everything. Never leave anything with an air gap on top.
Thanks for the tips.

At what point/ when do you add the potassium metabisulphite?

sadly couldnt find any on any of the shelves

TBH its been years since we made a supermarket juice wine as you know white grape juice become as rare as hens teeth so we used red but then we found our local Range store stocked HB stuff and their wine kits are a great price and very drinkable unfortunately for some reason its getting a bit hit and miss whether they have them i stock, it is rumoured Beaverdale make the kits for them so this may be the reason.

We are giving the rebranded Solomon Grundy kits a try we used to make them years ago and they were very drinkable we were surprised at how low the prices are at most HB shops, there are several other types i have only posted Rose which is our favourite and white.

1717075280088.png

1717075415329.png

Latest posts

Back