The Barge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, very few French have conversational English
You don't need to be able to have a long conversation just the basics we also don't know how many of the asylum seekers can speak conversational English.

Last edited:
Why should countries who, by luck, are at the end of a migrant route not take their fair share of asylum seekers
We do take our fair share I thought this was about stopping these poor people thking this is the land of milk and honey which encourages them to risk their lives crossing the channel in small boats

Last edited:
You don't need to be able to have a long conversation must the basics and as we don't know how many of the asylum seekers can speak conversational English it's fairly irrelevant.
Not really,
The two reasons why asylum seekers go to the UK is its English speaking and they have family ties.

I assume assylum seekers from regions within the former French empire (Algeria, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, etc) seek refuge in the France

I see a lot in my local supermarket and they usually have only one in the group that can speak any English so the English language argument in my area is a no go and I live 1/4 mile from a 500 hotel full of them so no most can not speak English and they are virtually all men mostly very young.

Not really,
The two reasons why asylum seekers go to the UK is its English speaking and they have family ties.
This may be the reason for some but not all i am sure we have all seen the interviews where they haven't either reason and think they can get a better life by coming here instead of staying in a different safe country

Last edited:
We do take our fair share I thought this was about stopping these poor people thking this is the land of milk and honey which encourages them to risk their lives crossing the channel in small boats
Comparatively speaking, from where they're from it IS the land of milk and honey.

As for taking our fair share...

In 2022, Turkey took 3.6 million, Iran 3.4 million, Columbia 2.5 million, Germany 2.1 million, France 612,000, Poland 900,000 etc. etc. The UK took 328,000.

Do we take our fair share? Well, one could argue we're actually not, based on those figures...

According to data from the UK, the top 5 nationalities crossing the channel are

Iraq
Iran
Albania
Syria
Afghanistan

According to data from the UK, the top 5 nationalities crossing the channel are

Iraq
Iran
Albania
Syria
Afghanistan

I don't think a nation hosting asylum seekers as well as people from that nation seeking asylum elsewhere is mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
If any are illegal immigrants kick them out. Same for anybody. If I went to live somewhere without a work visa same would happen to me.

If any are illegal immigrants kick them out. Same for anybody. If I went to live somewhere without a work visa same would happen to me.
These people are seeking asylum. They make a case that their lives are in danger if they return to their country of origin. Then the UK authorities process the claim.

Different from ditching off to the States or Australia to work on a building site

These people are seeking asylum. They make a case that their lives are in danger if they return to their country of origin. Then the UK authorities process the claim.

Different from ditching off to the States or Australia to work on a building site
I stand by if they are illegal ie no asylum then out. Evidence of proof is needed for asylum. No economic immigration

I stand by if they are illegal ie no asylum then out. Evidence of proof is needed for asylum. No economic immigration
What do you consider as illegal? Because seeking asylum isn't illegal. And being denied asylum isn't illegal either.

You'd have to leave the country if your asylum application is denied, which I suppose is fair enough, but none of that process is illegal. Unless when you arrive by a small boat that you try to enter the country without a visa or without seeking asylum. Which is a different matter than seeking asylum.

They already had asylum in France didn't they and they are all not asylum seekers but economic migrants.
These type are making it difficult for the real asylum seekers and are blocking up the system for the genuine cases who should use the safe routes, which then take more time to be processed.
If they are genuine why do they throw their passports away and give details that are not who they really are.

Any issue regarding ethics and doing the right thing, I always fall back on my favourite quote from Abraham Lincoln

"One should always listen to the better angels of our nature and stop reading the Daily Mail."

In 2022, Turkey took 3.6 million, Iran 3.4 million, Columbia 2.5 million, Germany 2.1 million, France 612,000, Poland 900,000 etc. etc. The UK took 328,000.

If those figures are right then obviously we haven't but the problem which i hear a lot on the daily phone-in's is this country is broke where are we going to house (pre barge) all these people, we cannot get in to see out GP's and the waiting list to get into hospitals is growing if we were to match Germany where would 2.1 million live?

I will repeat this is about stopping these people travelling through safe countries to get onto a small boat and risking their lives to get here only to be put in a floating hotel until they are allowed to stay or not.

Latest posts

Back