The Barge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have been discussing it on 5 live and apparently some of these people who came here by boat illegally are refusing to go on it because they are scared of water, it's costing us £6 million a day to house them in hotels we cannot carry on paying to house them in hotels.
Clearly their illegal cross channel boat trip has given them PSTD.

Well take a plane or the chunnel.

Ah, afraid of tunnels and flying then, and yet surely the journey already taken has been the most dangerous of their life.

Traffickers are having a laugh.

I wonder if like persons at HMP they will get priority at the hospital and dentist?
I was trumped in the Aand E by some shouting person hand cuffed to a wheel chair and two prison officers...

I think this law needs changing unless there is a very good reason for an asylum seeker to want to go to a specific country they should stay in the first safe one they reach.

There's a number of reasons why asylum seekers might want to come to the UK over France. Perhaps they speak English and not French. Perhaps they have friends/family/other connections here.

And besides which, most of them DO stay in the first safe country they reach, which in many cases is Turkey. Turkey takes more asylum seekers than anyone. The UK isn't in the top 10. The UK isn't even in the top 20. France hosts twice as many asylum seekers than the UK.

Who else thinks that Bravermann has put a giant bung in the middle of the barge, and they are going to float it out to "Rwanda", then just pull the bung out?

I might be missing something but I can’t quite understand why these people make such a dangerous trip and risk their lives crossing the channel in tiny overcrowded boats. They were in France! Isn’t that safe enough?

Would you go to France if we found ourselves in a civil war? Or would you try to get to an English-speaking country to start again?

Is the situation in France equal to that elsewhere for asylum seekers? If it was why would you risk crossing the Channel in a blow up boat?

The people organising these boats must be brilliant why would anyone want to come here when they could choose other countries?
Edit to add - I hadn't read the whole thread before posting, thr English speaking point is a good one but don't most countrys speak English as a second language.

Last edited:
The people organising these boats must be brilliant why would anyone want to come here when they could choose other countries?
Edit to add - I hadn't read the whole thread before posting, thr English speaking point is a good one but don't most countrys speak English as a second language.
France doesn't.

France doesn't.

Haha, i was about to say that.

Reasons are, English speaking, many have family already here, and remember other cultures consider family 'family' much more distant than we might. A legacy of our colonialism. We still have, despite our recent record a reputation for fairness and decency. And also despite what many believe, we are welcoming and often fair. The benefits they receive are less than many other countries, including France.

On tha laptop I was looking at the refugee council website last night, it was quite interesting, I'll post it when I get back from work.

Would you go to France if we found ourselves in a civil war? Or would you try to get to an English-speaking country to start again?
Would I prefer to go to an English speaking country, probably yes. Would I risk my life on a blow up boat to do so, definitely not. There has to be a bigger advantage to coming here than that!

Maybe second language was the wrong term probably more accurate to say many more french people can speak enough English to get by compared to us here.
No, very few French have conversational English.

Ps. I am currently holidaying in France, in a French water park, with my French wife and her family (who are french and swiss french).

I think this law needs changing unless there is a very good reason for an asylum seeker to want to go to a specific country they should stay in the first safe one they reach.
Why should countries who, by luck, are at the end of a migrant route not take their fair share of asylum seekers?
The issue is the processing delays, if they were efficient then people would either be accepted or denied and then those accepted can get on with getting jobs, contributing to society and rebuilding their lives.
With an efficient system there would be maybe 10,000 tops who need temporary accommodation whilst waiting for their claims to be processed, a much easier number to house.
The processing delays are a political decision, the Tories want to look ‘hard’ on immigration to appeal to the hard right.

Latest posts

Back