The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gunge and Steve. I think I'll try one and a half packs. I doubt over-pitching is an issue

Does anyone have an idea of the cell count in a pack of CML yeast?

I'm brewing a 19ltr batch soon with an SG of 1.058. Would one pack of yeast be enough?

I've got an email from Steve claiming 200 billion cells/pack. Beersmith estimates 202 billion cells for 19 litres at 1.058. One pack should be fine, imho.

Anyways...today, for the first time I used some CML Belgian yeast. Tipped the pack into half a cup of water to rehydrate, and I almost snapped the thermometer when I went to stir it - it had formed the most dense sludge on the bottom of the cup! WTF?!? Is this normal? And I could swear that I got a whiff of pear drops. This one's gonna be interesting...

Well 2 days on and in true CML spirit this one has crossed the finishing line and is now sauntering back to the changing room... though the ferm temp was an intentional 23.5C. I'm now toying with the idea of adding 500g of homemade candi sugar, having been perusing such matters. I made it this afternoon but am still undecided whether to add it now or save for another brew designed to include it from the outset. Any thoughts?

I'd leave it as it is, then brew it again with the same recipe except with your candy sugar added and then you've got a comparison of the effect it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd leave it as it is, then brew it again with the same recipe except with your candy sugar added and then you've got a comparison of the effect it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea - that never occurred to me, probably cos I never brew the same beer twice ( except my stout). First time for everything tho'...

Realised you didnt say what colour the homemade sugar was, im assuming pale? Looks like a fairly light Belgian pale, I'd probably leave the sugar on that one as it might dilute the malt flavours a bit and starting at 1.045 it's going to be easy drinking already.

Hope it turns out well.

Brewed Greg Hughes'Cornish Tin Miner's Ale on Wednesday, using CML Real Ale Yeast. Final gravity now met, in just under four days. Still very cloudy so I'll wait a week or so to allow it to clear a little.

But in the brewfridge, there's a heck of a banana smell. Has anyone else had this? And will it be evident in the final beer?

I fermented at 20° as per recipe instructions. CML say you can fermentation up to 25° with this yeast.

Brewed Greg Hughes'Cornish Tin Miner's Ale on Wednesday, using CML Real Ale Yeast. Final gravity now met, in just under four days. Still very cloudy so I'll wait a week or so to allow it to clear a little.

Good luck with that - just poured myself a Tin Miners made with CML and the yeast is still really mobile at the bottom of the bottle and some inevitably ended up in the beer when I poured it :-( A great yeast but doesn't seem to compact in bottles very well.

Cornish Tin Miners Ale.jpg

Still, that looks a good pint. Did you cold crash or use finings in the FV?

Did you have any banana smells during fermentation?

It was cold crashed, I never using finings.

I didn't smell anything unusual during fermentation but then I rarely check for such things, it goes in the FV for 2+ weeks then into the cool for a few days, and is then bottled.

And yes it is a great pint - my beer of Chrismas this year, of all the ones I've made recently. A close second is my Vanilla Porter. All the rest are frankly a bit disappointing (maybe too much experimentation this year), but glad it all came good at the end of the year :thumb:

Good luck with that - just poured myself a Tin Miners made with CML and the yeast is still really mobile at the bottom of the bottle and some inevitably ended up in the beer when I poured it :-( A great yeast but doesn't seem to compact in bottles very well.

I had the opposite. My brown ale is the clearest beer I’ve ever brewed and I could almost empty the bottle without disturbing the yeast!

Does keeping the bottle in the fridge for a few days maybe help compact the yeast?

It'll never be in the 'Notty league' but I've found it to compact down in the bottle perfectly satisfactorily after a couple of weeks, and can empty the bottle to the last inch or sometimes less without disturbing the sediment whatsoever.

The Kristallweizen compacted down beautifully for me, heck even the trub in the FV went from a good 3 inches deep to about 1cm (meaning I was able to get 41 bottles from it!!!), and 2 weeks in the bottle and it's pouring really nicely. Cloudy obviously, it's wheat beer, but the sediment on the bottom is staying put. Finally developed some estery flavour too since bottling, delicious.

As to banana smells with the real ale, nope. I made the mistake of using it on those 30 degrees C days last summer though, and it stank of black treacle/liquorice, the beer tasted of it for months too before it faded. It really doesn't like been warm. :lol: As to sticking to the bottom of the bottle, my summer ale hasn't been in the bottle that long yet, so hard to say (I refuse to judge it by the behaviour of my kit brews... lol). Right now it's still hitching lifts on CO2 bubbles when you open one.... :whistle: Good job I only lightly primed it (aimed for about 1.8 volumes...). It's not ready to drink anyway, needs a few more weeks yet. I fermented in the open though with a blow off tube (I know from experience that the stuff is insane!), so aroma could easily have just escaped.

Bottled two batches brewed at 22c with the kristalweizen yesterday. Both one gallons in demijohns. The trub in one with 50/50 pale and wheat malt had a trub that was like putty when the racking cane went in - I didn't lose a drop. The other done with 50/50 pale malt/flour had masses of trub so I had to hold the cane slightly submerged. Both were fairly clear. Taste was lovely on both. The flour one smooth with banana, the wheat malt had a slightly more grainy taste with a hint of sourness that's nice.

Just to test the yeasts I did a split batch, all pale malt, target for bittering, simcoe and cascade into no chill then a cascade dry hop. 3 demijohns with kolsh, real ale and us pace. Today I'm cold crashing and took samples as I added gelatine. The real ale was amazing straight away screamed "I'm in a pub - this is a pub pint!" I've never had such a wow before. Kolsh was almost peppery then slightly astringent and dry, US Pale a slight sourness then grainy. All brewed at 20c.

Got to note that the US pale didn't start when the other two went off crazy so 2 days later I added more rehydrated US Pale. Maybe I forgot to put it in and maybe it could have developed a little sourness in that time even though it had an airlock. Can't say.

Hmmm, I used the US pale in my mosaic smash, and that went off like a rocket same as the real ale. I had to tip my first lot though that I rehydrated and direct pitch, I turned my back for a second whilst doing it and when I turned back there was a fruit fly (aka a vinegar fly) in there doing a doggy paddle, so it went straight down the drain....

The only CML yeast that seems a slower starter was the Saison De Lille. The Mangrove Jacks M29 I pitched last night though is similarly slow so far, 14 hours after pitching and still nada, same as the CML yeast was.

I still need to try the Kolsch (been putting that off, as I don't have temp control) and Belgian Ale yeasts I have in the fridge. I should probably give the Kolsh a try whilst the weather is cold really. :lol:

Latest posts

Back