The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UK is crashing before your eyes. Looks like the protocol bill will not pass the house of lord's. They are making sounds that a deal can be made with the EU. DUP are getting kicked under the bus again.

Karma.

In a seriousness though, Johnson was an absolute disgrace for making promises he was never in any position to make.
That seems to be the politics, promise the moon and the stars. Deliver very little once they get into power. Truss is in a real hard situation, strike a deal with the EU to move forward with Brexit.
The deal turns into a success, N. Ireland begins to flourish. Scotland come knocking for the same deal. This is the beginning of the end for the UK.

I don't have a mortgage so this may be a daft question, couldn't they add the extra to the end so you pay the same ascypi do now but for a bit longer?
I don't knowm My girlfriend is a few years older than me. When we took the mortgage out end of last year (she was 43 at the time) they wouldn't give us anything longer than 24 years. So you are restricted to a time lock of when you retire which I kind of understand.

And to think most of this disaster could have been largely avoided,!!!!
I make an allowance for covid.
No government in my 65yrs has had to face that.
But I say SOME allowance

But this is not related to covid directly.
It is infact a dying government determined to go out with a "bang".

And to think most of this disaster could have been largely avoided,!!!!
I make an allowance for covid.
No government in my 65yrs has had to face that.
But I say SOME allowance

But this is not related to covid directly.
It is infact a dying government determined to go out with a "bang".
More like a whimper 😂

Yes you can, so basically don't retire. Work until you drop, plus if you have the misfortune to require care they sell your home to pay for it.
Great times ahead

As i said i don't have a mortgage but if i did i would rather have money to spend to feed my family this winter and to keep them warm rather than make them go without so i dont have to worry about what might happen several years in the future.

Last edited:
Merely pointing out there are two sides to a coin it's called a debate try adding an opposing argument instead of a lazy throwaway comment.

It's not a throwaway comment at all. There are two sides to a coin. Unfortunately, the affordability calculator that has been in use since the sub-prime lending crash, is not fit for purpose, and subsequently there are millions of people in this country that are going to be unable to meet this sharp rise in rates.

As has been pointed out by Samale, extending the mortgage length isn't going to be feasible for some people. In my case, yes, we will be able to absorb the extra interest payments. I could accept all of this additional cost if it was due to something unavoidable, such as the roof collapsing, or it was going to benefit wider society, but we'll essentially be footing a bill in the thousands (in many cases 10 of thousands) due to irresponsible and ill-considered fiscal policy, aimed at making the rich that bit richer.

I don't think that pointing out that these avoidable rises are unlikely to reverse anywhere near as quickly, is a throwaway comment.

Your trolling looking for a reaction. End of conversation, the last boy you trolled got banned from the site.

I don't see how you can call my posts below trolling as i said i don't have a mortgage so my question about adding payments to the end was genuine as was my answer to your post -

As for trolling a member i have no recollection and the decision to ban anyone from the forum is always made by the full moderator team not just me.

Chippy Tea said - I don't have a mortgage so this may be a daft question, couldn't they add the extra to the end so you pay the same as you do now but for a bit longer?

Samale -
Yes you can, so basically don't retire. Work until you drop, plus if you have the misfortune to require care they sell your home to pay for it.
Great times ahead

Chippy tea said - As i said i don't have a mortgage but if i did i would rather have money to spend to feed my family this winter and to keep them warm rather than make them go without so i dont have to worry about what might happen several years in the future.

It's not a throwaway comment at all.

Well as always you are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine and in my view Its a shame he couldn't have put forward a point of view instead of posting -
Full of heart as usual ❤️

At no point did i say they should add payments to the end i said COULDN'T they add payments. i wonder how many people (like me) would take this option if it were offered today.
Chippy tea posted - I don't have a mortgage so this may be a daft question, couldn't they add the extra to the end so you pay the same as you do now but for a bit longer?

Its a shame he couldn't have explained his point of view instead of posting -

At no point did i say they should add payments to the end i said COULDN'T they add payments. i wonder how many people (like me) would take this option if it were offered today.

Ah, I thought that was aimed at me. Your comment about there being no guarantees was rather glib, and arguably a throwaway comment. There are no guarantees in economics, but the markets can be quite predictable if your government isn't utterly retarded.

Ah, I thought that was aimed at me. Your comment about there being no guarantees was rather glib, and arguably a throwaway comment.

You say glib i say factually accurate ;)

No guarantee that rates go down either.
Chippy tea posted - It's called life there is no guarantee you will live to see the last payment!

You say glib i say factually accurate ;)

It was glib. It's self-evident that any of us could drop dead tomorrow, but to point that out adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. But you do you. 👍

Summary

1. Liz Truss's first Conservative Party conference as prime minister is being overshadowed by splits among MPs and rows over policy
  2. She is facing mounting pressure over her refusal to commit to increasing benefits in line with inflation
  3. Cabinet minister Penny Mordaunt broke ranks to call for the increase - promised under Boris Johnson's government - to be honoured
  4. The fresh row follows a U-turn on scrapping the 45p tax rate of income tax for higher earners
  5. Home Secretary Suella Braverman said MPs undermined the PM on that policy and effectively mounted a coup to force her hand
  6. But Trade Secretary Kemi Badenoch hit back, saying Braverman's comments were "inflammatory"

Liz Truss has said she is still in favour of lowering tax for the highest earners although it is not something she is currently contemplating.

It comes after the PM was forced to U-turn on her plan to scrap the 45p tax rate for those paid over £150,000.
Speaking to the BBC's Chris Mason, Ms Truss said her priority was making sure people could "get through the winter".
She also denied her first weeks in office had been a disaster, saying she had "acted decisively" on energy bills.
Ms Truss also pointed to her decisions to reverse a rise in National Insurance and scrap a planned increase to corporation tax.

Overall her tax cuts are estimated to cost £43bn, and the government is under pressure to show how it will pay for the changes.
There have been suggestions that the government would increase benefits in line with earnings, which are rising by around 5%, rather than inflation which is at around 10%.
One of her cabinet ministers Penny Mordaunt has argued it "makes sense" to increase benefits in line with inflation because it would ensure people could pay their bills - however, Ms Truss said she had "not yet taken a decision".
The prime minister had also hoped to lower taxes for the highest earners in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but a backlash from her own MPs forced her and her chancellor into a U-turn.
Despite having to ditch the policy, Ms Truss told the BBC she still believes in the principle, saying: "I would like to see the higher rate lower, I want us to be a competitive country."
Explaining her U-turn, she said she had "listened to feedback".
"Fundamentally if people are concerned about something that was a distraction from the major policies - like the energy price guarantee, like keeping taxes low, like getting the economy moving - I felt it was wrong to allow that distraction to continue."
Asked if she might in the future try again to scrap the 45p tax rate, Ms Truss said: "I'm not contemplating that now."
Speaking to the Telegraph, Home Secretary Suella Braverman said she was "very disappointed" in those Conservative MPs who had publicly voiced concern about the abolition of the 45p tax rate, accusing them of having "staged a coup, effectively, against the prime minister".
She argued that ex-minister Michael Gove - who called the plan "un Conservative" - should have raised his concerns with Ms Truss "in private".
Tweeting his support for the home secretary, Levelling Up Secretary Simon Clarke said: "Suella speaks a lot of good sense, as usual."

The interview comes the day before the prime minister is due to make her big speech to the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham.
Asked if she was concerned about opinion polls which have shown a slump in popularity for the Conservatives, Ms Truss said: "What I care about is doing the right thing by the British people."
She said she was "taking the right short-term decisions to help struggling families get through this winter, but also the right long-term decisions to put Britain on track to success to make sure that we've got that low-tax high-wage economy".
"I never pretended this would be easy," she said, adding that the country was facing "very difficult global headwinds" citing the war in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63131391

Latest posts

Back