The great brew save!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Aye, had the misfortune of having a split spiggot in my FV last night. And after some very quick thinking I managed to save my master brew dark ale that I brewed last night. So here's how I did it.

1 Most of my kegs were either full or not sanitised. But I had one that previously had been drank with some kveik yeast left in it and it had been left unopened. So, as it had previously been sanitised. I dumped 2 gallon in that. I left the cap unscrewed to allow the carbon dioxide to pass through it and not bust the mini pressure barrel keg. It's brewing away rather nicely atm. I doubt there will be risk of infection. And ok, it will be a little harder to salvage the kveik from that keg. But! It can be done!

2 Bottles. I had brewed my brew short as it was dripping like crazy all over my kitchen floor. I had sanitised bottles already. This was a painful process. However, same principal here too. Caps unsqueezed to allow CO2 drain. Again, brewing away, a bit slower which imo is a good thing. There will be enough yeast to salvage from the keg so I am not too worried about the loss there. But now I have some pre-bottled beer that I can just add cane sugar too once the process is complete. It's not a perfect solution but it's better than nothing.

I have no doubt some will have their views on this, quiet rightly in some cases. But some here may have lost the will and just lashed the whole lot down through their kitchen sinks. My answer is don't! Some ingeniuty and you can save your brew. What it will taste like I will let you know later. But all is not lost xD

Tastes great, a bit high abv hic, and there's lots of yeast to save. No homebrewy vinegary sh..., worked well. Currently using the yeast that I got from the 2 litre plastic bottle I used with orange juice xD

Latest posts

Back