The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1960.jpeg

For a first attempt I reckon this worked pretty well. Dough is just white bread flour, salt, yeast, water and a little olive oil. Topping I kept nice and simple tomato and Mozzarella.

Ooni I started with a small amount of charcoal then topped up with wood as I went. This worked quite well in that it provided a bed of embers that let me restart the fire very quickly by adding fresh wood when I stopped between pizzas.

Overall impressed by how easy the Ooni pizza oven was to use, and pizzas really did cook in about 90 seconds. Yes it’s a bit of a gimmick but as someone who makes pizzas fairly often this Has proved ar least so far a worthwhile purchase.

View attachment 87703
For a first attempt I reckon this worked pretty well. Dough is just white bread flour, salt, yeast, water and a little olive oil. Topping I kept nice and simple tomato and Mozzarella.

Ooni I started with a small amount of charcoal then topped up with wood as I went. This worked quite well in that it provided a bed of embers that let me restart the fire very quickly by adding fresh wood when I stopped between pizzas.

Overall impressed by how easy the Ooni pizza oven was to use, and pizzas really did cook in about 90 seconds. Yes it’s a bit of a gimmick but as someone who makes pizzas fairly often this Has proved ar least so far a worthwhile purchase.
I don't have an ooni, but my brother and 2 friends do. They rotate the pizza half way through (one rotates it by 120° twice during the cooking) so you don't get that characteristic pattern where one side is very much more cooked than the other.

Looks delish though

I don't have an ooni, but my brother and 2 friends do. They rotate the pizza half way through (one rotates it by 120° twice during the cooking) so you don't get that characteristic pattern where one side is very much more cooked than the other.

Looks delish though
Think it’s going to take a bit of trial and error to get them just right (with how quick they cook it’s quite tight on the timing to get them turned) as it would seem otherwise you end up like mine with a wee bit of burning still taste extremely good so will be fun getting it fine tuned.

Think it’s going to take a bit of trial and error to get them just right (with how quick they cook it’s quite tight on the timing to get them turned) as it would seem otherwise you end up like mine with a wee bit of burning still taste extremely good so will be fun getting it fine tuned.
Yeah. I remember people saying it took a couple of attempts before you get the knack. More reason to do tasty "practise" 😉

I have a Woody (Steady 😆) which is a cheaper Ooni. Great fun. Most important is to buy 3 or 4 pizza peels so you can make up a bunch of pizzas and whack them in one after the other. Procook doing wooden ones for £6.49 at mo.

IMG_1999.jpeg

Most recent attempt this time a ‘Hawaiian pizza‘ overall really pleased how this turned out I used the Ooni pizza dough recipe with 60% hydration and proved In the fridge for 24 hours balling second proving and stretching. I’ve actually found they come off the peel easily enough if I stretch them out first in Semolina then transfer to the peel (when I was applying liberal amounts of semolina to the peel I was finding I was ending up with a somewhat arid burnt taste with the semolina catching fire on the stone.

View attachment 88563
Most recent attempt this time a ‘Hawaiian pizza‘ overall really pleased how this turned out I used the Ooni pizza dough recipe with 60% hydration and proved In the fridge for 24 hours balling second proving and stretching. I’ve actually found they come off the peel easily enough if I stretch them out first in Semolina then transfer to the peel (when I was applying liberal amounts of semolina to the peel I was finding I was ending up with a somewhat arid burnt taste with the semolina catching fire on the stone.

Yay you're one of the normal people that likes fruit on pizza 🤣

Yay you're one of the normal people that likes fruit on pizza 🤣
Now part of me wants to point out that unless you make a white pizza, then you have fruit on your pizza, but honestly I will never quite understand the dislike of pineapple on pizza especially combined with bacon it’s that delicious mixture of sweetness and saltiness that I adore.

But honestly the best thing about making your own pizza is that you can put what ever the hell you like on it (except for anchovies for they are the work of the devil and have no place on a pizza).

Now part of me wants to point out that unless you make a white pizza, then you have fruit on your pizza, but honestly I will never quite understand the dislike of pineapple on pizza especially combined with bacon it’s that delicious mixture of sweetness and saltiness that I adore.

But honestly the best thing about making your own pizza is that you can put what ever the hell you like on it (except for anchovies for they are the work of the devil and have no place on a pizza).

Try it with tuna it's amazing 🤣

You may hate me but I love a seafood pizza with anchovies and olives. Soz 🤣

Capers and a tiny bit of anchovies
The tastes of this thread leave me in despair.

Unfortunately I have several family members who adore anchovies on pizza so now and then I have to just grin and bear it and handle the vile little things to put on pizzas.

The tastes of this thread leave me in despair.

Unfortunately I have several family members who adore anchovies on pizza so now and then I have to just grin and bear it and handle the vile little things to put on pizzas.
I have two family members who like anchovies on their pizzas. I do the bases and let them do their own toppings then I cook them. That way I don't have to touch the anchovies.

I've recently been introduced to anchovies on pizza. I assumed they would be flexible for a long time (since childhood) but have now discovered that they are great on pizza (alongside olives that I went through a similar experience with about 15 years ago)

They're amazing in caesar salad dressing too. Some people perhaps don't realise that's where the yummy umami flavour comes from. You don't get lumps of fish as they get pounded down to a pulp.

Back