The latest shiny investment for the brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Idiot

Regular.
Reaction score
We're all capable of an impulse purchase when it comes to brewing. Often, we'll also come up with some fantastical trail of logic that justifies the purchase, albeit somewhat tenuously. For example, I knew I could make good beer with my 28 litre plastic boiler. I did make good beer with it. It never let me down. It also never boiled over.

However, as I sat with my finger hovering over the buy button for a 56.7 litre SS Brewtech stainless steel boiler, I comforted myself with the fact that although the plastic boiler had never boiled over, this certainly wouldn't boil over with a 23 litre batch.

As I say, tenuous but enough to justify the investment. However, my latest purchase isn't based on a tenuous whim. It's a solid well-considered absolutely sterling 100 per cent sensible impulse purchase!

We all have to clean. It's a part of the brewing life. Some pretend to enjoy it, claiming it's therapeutic, but it's not. It's rubbish. It's even worse when you're using a sink designed to wash a tea cup. My brewery had one such sink. I loved brewing, but every brew day ended in misery as I slopped water all over the place and spent up to two hours trying to clean everything.

When I replaced our kitchen I kept the double sink and units, and after a while I installed them in the brewery. Now I had three sinks, each designed to wash a tea cup. I actually felt quite good about myself. Three sinks; get me!

I popped around to ma mates for a beer and he asked what I'd been up to. I told him I'd plumed some sinks into the brewery. He pointed out that was a coincidence as he'd just had a sink put in his laundry room. I went to look at it, and I was actually somewhat aroused (plus feeling a healthy dose of inadequacy at the same time). I knew right then what I had to do.

As he poured the beers I borrowed his lap top and found not the same sink as he had, but a double one. The sealant wasn't even cured on my newly fitted sinks before I had replaced them, and it was an investment made wisely, because ... well, it was.

Behold...

sinks.jpg

A fermenter fits in each sink; actually, two will go in at once. I can also run free hot water into them from the immersion chiller, thus not wasting the water. Plus, if I get a dwarf stripper in for a brew day and the Missus pops along, she can hide in the sink (the stripper, that is, not the missus).

Some times when a fool is parted from his money, it's all good!

Can you put up the link for this as I need to fit a sink in my cave.

I got mine for £350 including VAT and delivery. Currently the same outlet wants over £700 for it. It's a Vogue CF406, and so you need to trawl th catering wholesalers for a deal. Because they all have the same customer base someone always has a deal, so it's a case of putting in he leg work. The deals are often for one day, a week or while stock lasts.

There's always a catering wholesale deal to be had. I got my 3kw induction jobs for £70 each including VAT and delivery, and I got a decent vac packer for £15 and the next day it was back at £99. My mincer (I make sausage too) was on a one day offer at 25 per cent of its price.

Register with the wholesalers for alerts and you'll be amazed at the offers they email out.

That looks absolutely amazing. I heft all my gear upstairs and wash it in the bath using the shower head, I know who is going to have the easier time of it!

I looked at those and then found a nice round 90l plasters mixing trugs..
no pics of the finished sink as such, here it is going in - no taps yet..

15165553097_20fd3558dc.jpg

and a cluttered pic of the taps, and you can just see the top of a 20l ss pot in the sink.. the 100/80/100 3v system pots can all get a in sink scrub..
I was installing electricity and sockets so the dodgy powerstrip location was a temporary must..
15364308609_eacca134b6.jpg

Back