The next new IPA trend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much bitterness remained in an 1850s IPA after a years aging, prior to being shipped? Isn't the distinction of IPA, that they were heavily hopped, rather than being brewed to high IBUs? Also, IBUs don't tell the whole story, as bitterness is a perception, historic malts provide more sweetness than modern malts, and would have made the IPA less bitter.

If anyone wants to challenge their ideas of what IPAs were, buy a bottle of this. Brewed to a historic 120IBU recipe with heritage malt and barrel aged. Result, not very bitter. Also, very nice.

View attachment 13399

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
I've seen that Govinda in my local but steered past it always going for the modern day juice bomb ipa's. I'll pick one up next time I'm in and give it a try.

"Flat White"? "Coffee White Stout"? Where's this pathetic illogical naming going? Have we got to dismantle language so nobody can trust what anyone else is saying? It seems to be an American disease and I think it should be quarantined to keep it that side of the Atlantic not encouraged over here. Beer should be treated with the respect it deserves, if it can't be it shouldn't be masquerading as beer. I think these brewers need to grow up ... but hang on.

Look a giraffe.

Okay, so it's a dog. But it's got four legs...

:D

I think these brewers need to grow up

And some need to lighten up. :fart:

I think it's a good thing that people can push the boundaries and try something new. Why not have a bit of fun with the name on the way? Perhaps the name is an ironic take on the trend for nobby coffee names/styles?

Top deck...memories of long gone summers...Mrs Chan charging 2p for sweets pre marked at 1p. ..happy days!
"Fading memories of long gone summers" I think you mean. 'Cos didn't you intend to write "2d" and 1d"?

Hey, I wonder if leaving the European union will mean a return of 10 bob notes and twelve pennies to the shilling?

Yeah ... Brexit. Yeah ... Agincourt!

"Agincourt"? What am I saying. Wasn't that a scuffle between the French and some ex-pat French who'd hired some down-and-out English, who were hard-up having already sold their grannies, to fling their new fangled arrowy thingies about? I should be more careful what I say.

Please correct me if i'm wrong but I never heard of French ex-pats having any thing to do with Agincourt.

Flippin heck I'm only 50...
I know, you've given that away before.

So you'd be 6 or 7 ish during "decimalisation". So you'd remember "1d". But I suppose you could have been referring to later.

Please correct me if i'm wrong but I never heard of French ex-pats having any thing to do with Agincourt.

You're wrong ...

... oh, but you want an explanation too.

At the time of Agincourt I think the nobs were only just getting over speaking French. But if you want to be pickie you could point out that William the Conqueror was an ex-pat Viking in Normandy (although they had been there for a couple of generations).

Back to beer for a moment, after a foray into history. I've been thinking of making a dry beer this summer by using a Saison yeast as mentioned on page 1 of the thread. The massive late hop hit should mask the yeast flavour, I'd hope. I hadn't really thought about the bitterness but it might be a better light summer brew with a low bitterness. Might just bung 100g of hops in at flameout and leave for 10 minutes then another big load as a dry hop. Has anyone done similar?

Back to beer for a moment, after a foray into history. I've been thinking of making a dry beer this summer by using a Saison yeast as mentioned on page 1 of the thread. The massive late hop hit should mask the yeast flavour, I'd hope. I hadn't really thought about the bitterness but it might be a better light summer brew with a low bitterness. Might just bung 100g of hops in at flameout and leave for 10 minutes then another big load as a dry hop. Has anyone done similar?
I can see what you are trying to do, get the bone dry results of "saison" yeast without the kooky flavours, then have loads of (probably American) hops to disguise any remaining vestiges of the yeast. Seems a shame, but if that's what you want...

I used Mangrove Jack's French Saison (M29) but didn't have good temperature control back then. The aim was to ramp it up to high 20s but I only managed the low 20s. I was disappointed with there being such limited yeast flavour (but the FG had still gone to 0.998). So keeping the temperature low (18C?) may well get what you are after.

I was drinking my resulting "Saison" for breakfast on Christmas Day instead of Champagne (not the last one). (EDIT: Wrong! It was the last one. I'd held back a couple of bottles from previous Christmas for nostalgia's sake. Refreshing stuff to be drinking over the preceding Summer.).

Anyway, back to history...

Sorry I still don't understand and would like to, are you saying Henry the 5th was a french ex-pat?

Aye, so he was. Though things were getting a bit more smudged by then with the ruling classes (i.e. French) beginning to embrace the English language and building there own identity (i.e. "English"). Remember Agincourt was in France and the battle was all about the (so-called) English king reasserting his "rights" on "his" French territories. This was part of the "divorce" between England and France ("100 Year War") which the BBC are doing a fine series on at the moment.

Last edited:

Mangrove Jacks M29 or Lallemand Belle Saison will both give you a clean enough flavour to bury in hops if you ferment at 18 to 20 degrees C for the first 3 days, then ramp up to finish off to about 25 degrees C. Of the 2, Belle Saison seems to go that bit dryer (but could also have been down to that one been a braggot with a lot of honey in it...). Last Saison I did, no simple sugars just grain, with M29 has hit 1.003 comfortably. I much prefer a hoppy Saison myself, aiming for something between a less bitter IPA and a Saison. Very very refreshing.

With respect to brut beers, here in Belgium we have them already at least ten years, perhaps even longer.

... I've been thinking of making a dry beer this summer ...
Nope, not another foray into history.

I've been reading more of this "Brut IPA" trend. It is indeed what you are looking for, and without the Saison yeast that you seem to find unpalatable. The first part of this thread might give the impression that "Brut IPA" is strictly a chemical process (yeuch) but that's not the case. Enzymes are added to a "normal" mash to make the end result more fermentable than relying on malt enzymes alone. Probably worth looking into as an alternative to Saison yeast? You can use a tasteless yeast like US-05 instead (although that yeast can be a nightmare to clear).

I was checking just for curiosity, you wont find me making that <insert suitably negative adjective> "IPA".

Just got back from Chapel down vineyard https://www.chapeldown.com/ There Curious brew (currently made under contract by Fullers) is finished with a champagne yeast and brewed dry, not my cup of tea but its OK. As for the name Brut IPA at least it does have a meaning that makes sense more than many styles do now (under 12g sugar per L).

Back