The next new IPA trend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have just mentioned this in another thread, but it might deserve it's own thread.

Brut IPA, a champagne IPA style growing out of San Fransisco. ...
You do realise that spreading this sort of knowledge over here could earn you space on London Bridge (for your head on a spike).

This will probably spell the return of those little sachets of amylase enzyme in the LHBS back in the 70-80s. Or did they ever leave?

Is the enzyme available to homebrewers? If you use a Saison strain is there something you could do to reduce the yeast character but keep the attenuation level, perhaps combined with dry beer tactics like a low mash temp and a bit of sugar. Then dry hop the F out of it?

Is the enzyme available to homebrewers? If you use a Saison strain is there something you could do to reduce the yeast character but keep the attenuation level, perhaps combined with dry beer tactics like a low mash temp and a bit of sugar. Then dry hop the F out of it?
Tried spitting in the mash?

Not such a daft idea (telling people you have is). Some tribes still produce alcoholic drinks by first chewing whatever it is they are using.

Human amylase works best around body temperature (mash at 37C).

I'm personally very interested in this "type" of beer; and @Sadfield was kind enough to link it in my other thread.

It's not so much a case of making beer into something it's not; as someone suggested. But more a means of changing a typical process for the benefit and preference of a minority.

The greater reduction in FG for me, typically means a lower overall CHO content of the beer. Being diabetic this is quite important and certainly makes managing blood glucose levels that little bit easier.

Someone tried to sell me champagne beer in a restaurant several years back. Trouble is they actually wanted about £35 for a 750ml bottle too.

Is be interested in giving this sort of thing a go at some stage mind.

I'm also interested in finding a yeast that won't give a queer taste to something that intends to be a nice light summer session pale ale, for example.

IPA has become a sham for anything with hops. I'm reading the CAMRA IPA book and you might as well call a fork that got some malt on it a IPA nowadays.

Black IPA? Might as well have a white brown ale. Get the fu(k over yourselves.

IPA has become a sham for anything with hops. I'm reading the CAMRA IPA book and you might as well call a fork that got some malt on it a IPA nowadays.

Go on then, what beer style has remained consistent over the last 150 years? Brown, malty, low abv mild, what a sham.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Go on then, what beer style has remained consistent over the last 150 years? Brown, malty, low abv mild, what a sham.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I was about to say “water” and then I realised you can buy about 50 different types of water in a supermarket, so definitely not water.

Amylase certainly is available. I bought some from LHBS a few weeks ago to make banana wine.

Black IPA is one of my favourite beers. OK, the name is a bit stupid but that doesn't stop the thing being a fine beer. For me the advantage is that because it's an IPA at heart it turns out well with my water supply which is very acid whereas if I brew a stout I have to buy in water from Tescos which is a bit of a pain.
And don't be fooled by all these names - get a copy of Ron Pattinsons guide to vintage beer and you'll realise that nothing has ever remained constant in the beer industry and all these rigid rules about beer styles are just made up s**t.
For example, black IPAs which we would consider as heavily hopped have way lower IBUs than stouts originally had. And all stout meant was strong, so what we call stout was originally strong porter, and yes you did also get stout pale ales that were still pale...

Black IPA is one of my favourite beers. OK, the name is a bit stupid but that doesn't stop the thing being a fine beer.

I like black IPA for the surprise factor it provides. I myself have been guilty of saying "nothing too dark" when ordering a beer, so it's good fun to serve up "something dark" that tastes completely different to what you expect.

As long as it tastes good, doesn't matter what it's called. But likewise don't call something a name that is misleading - with "black IPA" I would know what I was getting without knowing the background to how it's made.

Latest posts

Back