The next stage - Extract brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you mean add 1kg of enhancer AND up the crystal to 200g???would golding hops be ok to dry hop with by the way?

right excellent im going to give it a go right now thanks very much,ill let you know how it turns out,cant wait!!! :cheers:

just to hijack this thread back ;)

so it's been 4 days and I've just taken a reading, starting gravity was 1.042, or there about - I'm still finding reading these hydrometers hard - and it's now at 1.015...only problem is that the bubbling seems to have ground to a halt....I'll leave it for another couple of days and take another reading to see if it goes down...fingers crossed...

smells good though !!

bossdrums said:
smells good though !!
What do you mean smells good :wha:
It is home brewing law that the content of the hydrometer trial jar is drunk :drink:
Then you'd know it tastes good too :thumb:

It has been my experience that extract brews tend to finish with high gravities due to the relatively high amounts of dextrins in the malt extracts and the steeped grains.
Your fermentation may well be finished but you are right to wait a couple of days to check :thumb:

It is home brewing law that the content of the hydrometer trial jar is drunk

bugger, just shows my lack of knowledge in brewing etiquette...I'll make sure I knock the next trial jar back :thumb:

so I managed to bottle my first extract brew last night, had a bit of a nightmare due to the hops seeds in the fermenter getting stuck in the bottling tube and a few getting through into a couple of bottles...also couldn't get all the beer out of the fermenter for the same reason as above.....then whilst capping I managed to break two bottles.....all in all I actually only ended up with 33 500ml bottles from 23 litres....you live and learn....next time I think I’ll be using the hop pellets or muslin/nylon boiling bags...

...anyway my second brew is now in the bottles, see below....second brew is on the left, first on the right....not got many bottles left from my first brew... :whistle:

well I crack my first couple of bottles open the other night, just to try it as it needs a few more weeks to condition....I was very impressed, tasted much better than my first brew (a kit), which I was kidding myself into thinking was so good that I'd be a master brewer in no time...

Onwards and upwards now...not to ag just yet though...

Back