Things I've seen when riding my bike

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also notice cars give you more room when cycling in the dark with a powerful front light, I think they slow to see what is coming towards them

Today I witnessed the most fugdup thing imaginable. Young chavvy looking couple pushing along a pushchair/pram along side a dual carriageway on a busy road coming out of Truro city. The pushchair was the type designed for new born humans. So as I was passing the toerags must have thought between them, 'sod walking 50 yards to the crossing point, lets push the baby across the carriageway, hump the push chair over the large grassy central reservation and across the other two lanes'. I was mortified at this, and my heart was in my mouth as I witness their lunatic antics. I did stop to watch, and the worst of it was once over the carriageway they mad a beeline for a Costa coffee shop...FFS!!!!
I'm I am convinced even more that these tossers should be neutered at berth.

Today I witnessed the most fugdup thing imaginable. Young chavvy looking couple pushing along a pushchair/pram along side a dual carriageway on a busy road coming out of Truro city. The pushchair was the type designed for new born humans. So as I was passing the toerags must have thought between them, 'sod walking 50 yards to the crossing point, lets push the baby across the carriageway, hump the push chair over the large grassy central reservation and across the other two lanes'. I was mortified at this, and my heart was in my mouth as I witness their lunatic antics. I did stop to watch, and the worst of it was once over the carriageway they mad a beeline for a Costa coffee shop...FFS!!!!
I'm I am convinced even more that these tossers should be neutered at berth.

Some people just shouldnt be allowed the responsibility of looking after children.

I've been to Truro many, many times. The outlaws live in Newquay, so myself an MrsMQ often find ourselves in Truro. We always go to the Skinners flagship pub, the old ale house. I love the barrel of free monkey nuts, and that you are positively encouraged to chuck the shells on the floor!

@MyQul nuts n dust make it a must. We often work in the city (3 days a week) so the Old ale house is almost our local.

... In fact Skinners will be the exclusive beer and cider provider for our new diner. The one I mentioned in another thread. I'll send you some info on our new venture 'Reeds smoke house and diner' in Porthtowan if you are interested.

@MyQul nuts n dust make it a must. We often work in the city (3 days a week) so the Old ale house is almost our local.

... In fact Skinners will be the exclusive beer and cider provider for our new diner. The one I mentioned in another thread. I'll send you some info on our new venture 'Reeds smoke house and diner' in Porthtowan if you are interested.

Yes, I read the post about you're new diner. That would be interesting to to read some info about it athumb..

Luckily for a cyclist ('cos I hadn't seen anything against the brightness of oncoming headlights) on Monday night I had to turn left and as my lights swung down the new road, I saw that I had missed the rear wheel of a cycle by about five metres as I turned.

The cyclist was riding a black bike (with no rear reflector or light) at 11pm, on a rainy night, along an unlighted road, whilst wearing black trousers and a black hoody!

I don't suppose the cyclist was even aware of how near to death he had come, but I did and my heart didn't stop going like a trip-hammer for about an hour!

I swear to God, some of them must have a Death Wish ...

... and before anyone starts mumping about "old people" and "failing eyesight" I think the cyclist was lucky that I was only travelling at about 20mph because I was coming up to the turn. Had I been going straight ahead, with the oncoming traffic, I doubt if I would have been far enough out into the road to avoid hitting him!

Luckily for a cyclist ('cos I hadn't seen anything against the brightness of oncoming headlights) on Monday night I had to turn left and as my lights swung down the new road, I saw that I had missed the rear wheel of a cycle by about five metres as I turned.

The cyclist was riding a black bike (with no rear reflector or light) at 11pm, on a rainy night, along an unlighted road, whilst wearing black trousers and a black hoody!

I don't suppose the cyclist was even aware of how near to death he had come, but I did and my heart didn't stop going like a trip-hammer for about an hour!

... and before anyone starts mumping about "old people" and "failing eyesight" I think the cyclist was lucky that I was only travelling at about 20mph because I was coming up to the turn. Had I been going straight ahead, with the oncoming traffic, I doubt if I would have been far enough out into the road to avoid hitting him!

I constantly see cyclists (usually young males) cycling around London when it's dark with no lights or even reflectors, and wearing dark clothes. You're right these guys are definate Darwin award candidates

Don't your car lights work? How do you see where you are going?

Missed the thread. When do you open. We are staying down that way in the summer

Don't your car lights work? How do you see where you are going?

My lights work fine (brand new high-power bulbs from Halfords that cost an arm and a leg!) and my eyesight is so good that I pass all driving tests without the use of spectacles. (In my youth, I also had a Board of Trade Eyesight Certificate that allowed me to be a ship's lookout!)

Whenever there is oncoming traffic, like most drivers, I dip my headlights and then drive at a speed that is commensurate to the stopping distance limit of what I can see in my dipped headlights.

However, any idiot who chooses to flout the law, rides a cycle at night along an unlit road without a rear-light or reflector, whilst wearing dark clothing, should be culled from the general population before he has time to breed!

I'm beginning to regret missing the opportunity!

I can close to culling the same chap twice on different days, 6 am full dark and he's riding with no lights or reflectors on a very badly lit lane whilst wearing a camp jacket and trousers.a

he would have made a pour hood ornament.

Aamcle

I dip my headlights and then drive at a speed that is commensurate to the stopping distance limit of what I can see in my dipped headlights.
While he may be an idiot riding without lights, if the above was really the case then you should have come no where near knocking him off his bike

While he may be an idiot riding without lights, if the above was really the case then you should have come no where near knocking him off his bike

Er ... please check the OP.

I missed him by about 5 metres which is way too close for comfort when you haven't seen the cyclist; not because of poor lighting, poor eyesight or poor observation skills but because the cyclist was not complying with the law of the land!

Using your theory, no-one should fit any form of rear lighting on any vehicle because if someone hits you up the **** it's all their fault!

PS

Remember when the government ran a "Wear something white at night!" campaign?

I pointed out to a coloured lad that I worked with, that he was in particular danger so he went and bought a white suit, white shoes and a white hat; the day before he got hit by a snow-plough!

When I'm out on my bike at night, I'm pretty lit up. Two front lights, two rear lights, and flashy LED arm band thingies.

Now, it's really flat where I live out on the marshes, and I was cycling one night down a really remote country lane, and seemingly out of nowhere appeared some plod in a wildlife crime transit giving me strange looks.

It wasn't until later that I realised they my mega bright front lights may well have looked like a load of lads out poaching with lamps. :laugh8:

...and yes, if you drive into the back of someone then it is your fault!

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not quite that simple. I know this because I know if someone who sadly killed a cyclist in similar circumstances, and he wasn't convicted as the cyclist was deemed to have contributed to the accident by not having lights or a reflector. I'm not actually sure it even went to court, but it was a few years back so I may be wrong on that point.

Latest posts

Back