Thinking of going down the BIAB route

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a home-made cooler mashtun and a 33L SS stock pot. Rather than using the mashtun and the makeshift sparging thing I do, I've been tempted to maybe look at BIAB. Now I'm kegging I don't need to do a full size 23L batch, 18.5-19L will prob suffice. On that basis, I'm concerned my 33L stock pot won't be big enough. Should it be twice the size of your batch (i.e. 37-38L if I'm doing 18.5 - 19L)? I guess I could prob do a smaller batch 17.5L and then top up with water / DME?

I have 30 litre burco boiler I use biab. I normally get between 20-23 litres in the fermentor depending on gravity.

How much water do you put in the boiler first though? I'm worried that, when I add the bag, the pot will overflow

How much water do you put in the boiler first though? I'm worried that, when I add the bag, the pot will overflow
Trial and error. Again it's down to the amount of grain your using. I normally go 26 litres then a small sparge before the boil

Trial and error. Again it's down to the amount of grain your using. I normally go 26 litres then a small sparge before the boil

I tend to go for 5 - 6% ish brews so grain bill is usually 5 - 5.5kg ish. Would you tend to do similar or lighter brews?

If I want stronger I up the grain bill and end up with slightly less in the fermentor. I don't use recipe calculators just go of experience of my system

That's my normal ball park as well. 5 -6 kg giving a 5%-6% beer.

Cool, so the addition of 5-6kg of grain to your 20-23L of water, still means you don't manage to make the 30L burco overflow? If I'm readin that correctly then that's pretty reassuring

Hi Chuffer
How much water do you put in the boiler first though?
... as a rule of thumb, dry grain displaces around 0.75 lts/kg ... just make sure you leave yourself enough headroom wink...

Then to work the rest out ...
  • to get 18.5-19 lts into a corny, you'll want 19.5 lts into your FV (to allow for 0.75 lts lost to yeast cake)
  • to get 19.5 lts into your FV you'll need 22 lts in your boiler at end of boil (2.5 lts lost to trub and deadspace)
  • to end up with 22 lts at end of boil, you'll need to start boiling 26 lts (4 lts evaporated off)
  • to have 26 lts at start of boil, you'll need 31 lts in the mash (5kg grainbill, grain will soak up 1 lts/kg)
  • and to start off with 31 lts of water you'll need a pot that'll take 34.75 lts (5kg grainbill, grain will displace 0.75 lts/kg)
... all the numbers in red are those that you have to estimate/caclulate/measure, for your system ... if you can't fit it all in at the start, leave a few lts out and add that to a separate vessel and incorporate a dunk sparge step after pulling your bag but before starting the boil.

Cheers, PhilB

very useful folks, thanks very much....sounds like I shouldn't be too far off and saves me shelling out unnecessarily ££ for a 50L pot as I suspected I might have to

Back