Three day, brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to remember exactly. As I recall through the fog of three subsequent brews, I just switched off and stirred in the hops and put the lid on and left it. The main body of the brew was half of the Geterbrewed Real English IPA kit, but brewed to 22 or 23 litres and with an extra 20g EKG and 10g Citra dumped in at the end. It is very different to the other half of the brew which made a 7% IPA. That is a good beer too, but entirely different in flavour.

Was it that there was some late additions say 10 or 15 mins and we decided to put them in at flameout instead?

At what temp do aroma/flavour oils evaporate?

wont there be a point where they are soluble in the liquid and about to evaporate out of it. Whereupon they are lost to the atmosphere? it would be the same oil going from liquid to gas. My son says solubility and evaporation are not a 1:1 correlation. he's a pharmacist and after a few sentences all I heard was blah blah blah, Still impressed tho' :cool:

I feel a bit of googling about to happen!

So the hops went in at 100C ish. You can add quite a lot of bitterness like this, especially with high alpha hops. How long did you leave them in?

It seems 3DBD experiment#2 (Overnight mash/No sparge) was more successful than I thought. Just before pitching the yeast (on D3) I decided to take another gravity sample - It was 1.045. I had previously taken a gravity sample on D2 thinking that the gravity was correct (1.034) and diluted down to (what I thought was) my final brewlenght of 15L. So something wasn't right with that sample.

So plugging the figures into a dilution calc again gave me 5 more litres! So my final brewlength came out at 20L, 3L short of the 23L target brew length!

I think for 3DBD experiment#3 I will be to do exactly the same as E#2 but whilst the wort is lautering, heat up 1.5L of sparge water to 168F and slowly pour it over the grains. I think this will wash out a bit more concentrated wort and get me nearer to the 23L target brewlength

I've been missing a trick. I haven't been turning my main boil on as soon as I remove my grains/mash bag. Waiting till after I've added my dunk sparge runnings to the main boil before I do so, in the mistaken belief my wort would come to the boil way before I finished doing my two dunk sparges.

Well I had a go of turning my boil on as soon as possible today and I've gotten D2 down to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours. (I started D2 the second MrsMQ left the house but cant remember the exact time), this includes two dunk sparges and clean up.

I think I can also shave some more time off, may be 20 mins, as I forgot to turn my sparge water on as soon as I could, which I started to do last brew day.

Wonder if I can somehow get D2 of my 3dbd to 2 hours :hmm:

Mine is between 3 and 4, for 23l brews. When I did the two in a day I think it was about 7.....

I have a bad back so I always take the grains out of the pot after mashing in three lots and then do two dunk sparges again in three lots so this slows me down a bit. If I could just yank the bag out of the pot I'm sure I could do it easliy in 2 hourspossibly less - Plus I'm a messy bugger and it takes me 1/2 hour to clean up despite the fact I've been cleaning as I go along too

Guess it's cuz you can recirculate the wort through the grain?

Thats what my thoughts were MQ the gain bed acting as a filter, i was very surprised when i emptied the fv this morning at the lack of trub to whats normally there using Biab

Thats what my thoughts were MQ the gain bed acting as a filter, i was very surprised when i emptied the fv this morning at the lack of trub to whats normally there using Biab

I've never done this myself but I've seen them do it at UBrew when I'm buying grain. They use a big 50L pot just like Bungles darlek but electric

Back