Thunderbugs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskinner

Reaction score
So the Thunderbugs (Thrips) are out round our end and there's a few crawling across my screen as I type this*!!

This is my first summer brewing and I was wondering if it's worth just packing up for a while or will I be ok to put one on tomorrow?

Only reason I ask is because they get everywhere and I'm worried they will find their way into the FV and infect it.

Daniel

*There are a few dead from last year too - an absolute nightmare to get out of an LCD screen!

You should've seen the thunderflies in my elderflower wine before I strained it. Lol
We call them midgies round these parts, I'm guessing that they would carry bacteria but I am no expert! !

As long as you use an airlocked FV or one with the lid only very slightly cracked open and either cover the tap (if it has one) or spray sanitiser into the tap before opening it then it's fine. :)

Well you learn something new every day :D

I know they are a pest, I'm sure I've heard TV gardeners talk about “aphids and thrips”, usually grouped together, but to be honest I hadn't got the faintest idea what a thrip looked like, so I looked 'em up and there was my answer:

Thrips are like Moose :shock:
.... inasmuch as their singular and plural forms are the same, one thrips, many thrips.

For anyone else who wants ejumafying, here's a link.

I agree with Parva though, an airlocked FV should be fine, or a lid not quite clipped on all the way around.

OK I'll take the chance. I always fully clip my FV's anyway and without an airlock so it will be fairly airtight in the absence of pressure gradient.

Back