Time in FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sym

Reaction score
Hi - I did my first AG last week in my new BZ35l - the Malt miller Five points best,. The instructions say ferment at 19 for 14 days. I have fermented it at 19 and now after a week the gravity is now steady and down to the FG required , should i leave it another 7 days, or be impatient and rack it now ? I want to do the right thing with my first AG.

Hi Sym, you will get a lot of devisive answers to this question, the 2+2+2, 2 weeks in fv 2 weeks in a warm place to carbonate in bottles then 2 weeks in the cool to condition a lot on here follow this rule also a lot don,t, i have recently started kegging my ale so after 2 weeks in the fv i keg it put it on gas and carbonate it, if you have a fridge and are sure it has finished fermenting you could cold crash it for 3 days and proceed from there, hope this helps

Thanks. I have always fermented in the coolest room in the house with a swamp cooler but still at arround 22 or 23 degrees, and it always fermented out in 5 yo 7 days, so to go with my step up to AG, i got a fridge with inbird and heatervso ad to get good temp conrol at 19degrees, so i thought this would mean it would then take 2 weeks.

I will leave it a few more then cold crash before racking to bottles and pb.

The reason you leave it for 14 days generally is with most standard yeasts they have finished as you say in 5-7 days fermentation but you require to give the yeast to clean up and remove any nasties produced during fermentation so 14 days is the standard advise the only difference is if you are using a Kveik type yeast as it generally does not need time to clean up but I as a old time brewer I still give it a couple of extra days

Yep I would go minimum 2 weeks in fv unless using kveik
Never trust guidelines by suppliers some will say this and that but hydrometer readings and patience will produce great beer
The longer the better in all ways
Get more brews going so your not dependent on one

Mostly it stays in the FV for 3 weeks for me, I once had one do 5 weeks, it was perfectly fine. And after 3 weeks in the FV it probably needs 3 months in the bottle before it becomes something special.

The Wheat Beer I am drinking tonight was brewed on the 6th March 21 and bottled on the 26th March - and it is absolutely beautiful.

Hi Sym, I’ve brewed the same 5 points all grain kit three times now in the same BZ35L. I’ve always left it 14 days in the FV (as I do with most if not all brews). Fermentation finished after about 6-7 days and the yeast the. Has time to clean up. Each batch has been superb, hence why I’ve brewed it three times!

If it's stopped fermenting then you can either bottle it straight away or leave it a while before doing so. The only real difference is that if you bottle now you'll have more sediment in your bottles - not really a problem if the yeast is of the flocculant kind, but maybe so if it's of the non-sticky variety.

I've never really understood the idea that the yeast cleans up after itself but that if you transfer to another vessel (bottle, keg or PB) then it miraculously looses this ability. It's still full of yeast...

Latest posts

Back