time lapse between steeping and boiling AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Morning

Can anyone tell me, if I was to steep my grains in the evening and then put them to boil in the morning, say 12 hours after steeping had ended what possible problems I may have?

I know that I'll be boiling from cold again so it will take a little longer than from steeping and mashing out temps, but I cannot think of any reason why it shouldn't work.

Thanks in advance

Daf

ive heard you can do overnight steeping so shouldn't be a problem. in fact ur prob getting the most out the grains

As long as you are steeping grains like Crystal Malt and such like, it will be fine.

An overnight mash of base malts will need to be very carefully temperature controlled.

If you let us know more details, then perhaps some more practical advice can be given.

As long as you are steeping grains like Crystal Malt and such like, it will be fine.

An overnight mash of base malts will need to be very carefully temperature controlled.

If you let us know more details, then perhaps some more practical advice can be given.

Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to ask is if I mashed for an hour in the evening and then put it to boil the next day. I should have used the word mashed instead of steep!!

So mash, sparge and collect all the runnings in the boiler and leave until the morning?

Or mash in, leave well insulated and sparge in the morning? Aka an overnight mash

I tend to get my mash going at about 8pm. It's a BIAB type of process so if I wrap it up well it has dropped to somewhere in the 50s by 6am. I would imagine a smaller volume would drop to a lower temperature. I reheat to 76C before removing the grains. I know that a mashout is unnecessary for an overnight mash but since the method works for me I've never changed it. I then sparge and get it boiling.
I add crystal to the mash when I reheat to steep it. I found that if I overnight mash the crystal the beer ends up dry, presumably because the long chain unfermentable sugars break down into fermentables.

I can't see any problem with mashing in the evening and boiling next day. Mashing temps.are the same as pasteurising temp. so as long as you leave it sealed up there won't be any contamination problems. And even if there was, the boiling will solve the problem.
I think Myquil often does a full overnight mash without problem.
Only downer I can see is that you have to reheat all that liquid from cold again.

You will probably get better efficiency from an over night mash. I once tried to fit in a double brew day with two short half hour mashes and boils but it all took too long and the second mash sat for about 14 hours until I had a chance to sparge and boil.

I ended up getting a 1 point higher gravity from the second mash even though I used about 700g less base malt for it.

So mash, sparge and collect all the runnings in the boiler and leave until the morning?

Or mash in, leave well insulated and sparge in the morning? Aka an overnight mash

Hi Ciaran

My initial question was doing the mash and sparge in the evening and then picking thinks up the next day (due to unexpected visitors) and what possible contamination issues I may have.

However having read the responses (thanks guys) I may even leave to mash overnight. I use the Ace to brew and mash, so a well insulated Ace may produce greater efficiency.

Either way it's all getting boiled for presumably 60 minutes so any nasties will be killed in that period. I've not done it myself but I am thinking about it to make the brew a bit easier.

If using an ACE or boiler to mash in, could you use an inkbird to keep the temp level overnight? What impact on the grains and attenuation would this have if any?

Latest posts

Back