Timothy Taylor landlord hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at clone recipes they seem to have late additions of Styrian Goldings (Celeia), so that's more than likely the hop responsible. With Celeia and either East Kent Goldings or Fuggles for bittering.
The whole concept of Styrian Goldings is complicated, as historically it meant just the variety now known as Savinjski Golding, but came to mean just about any hop from Slovenia including "improved" varieties like Celeia. It's like Challenger and Northdown being sold as "English Goldings".

But then the EU intervened to say that you had to use the actual variety name, such as Savinjski Golding or Celeiea, so you shouldn't be able to buy Styrian Goldings any more.

It's also worth noting that they vary the hop mix depending on the vintage (this article may also be of general interest) :
https://edsbeer.blogspot.com/2018/11/a-visit-to-timothy-taylors-brewery.html
My local does a cracking pint of TT’s. My favourite cask beer right now. The previous landlord didn’t keep it quite as well, was still good though so there is some care that needs to be taken but the landlord.

It's notorious for taking a *long* time to condition and most pubs don't give it the time. To be fair to them, they are very aware of the problem of poor cellarmanship and eg send someone round to places where they've picked up complaints on social media.

I guess our tastes are all different: was only saying yesterday how Abbot Ale is the only ale I really dislike. Yet I love Landlord.

As above, Styrian Goldings as a late hop are the key, I grow them and they are my go-to hop for late hopping. Landlord has been around for decades, well before the citrusy US hops appeared in the UK.

Hop additions are given in this recipe, but you might want to up the Styrian Goldings or even consider a dry hop Timothy Taylor – Landlord Premium Kit - The Malt Miller
Yes I’ve made that one. Thanks

The whole concept of Styrian Goldings is complicated, as historically it meant just the variety now known as Savinjski Golding, but came to mean just about any hop from Slovenia including "improved" varieties like Celeia. It's like Challenger and Northdown being sold as "English Goldings".

But then the EU intervened to say that you had to use the actual variety name, such as Savinjski Golding or Celeiea, so you shouldn't be able to buy Styrian Goldings any more.

It's also worth noting that they vary the hop mix depending on the vintage (this article may also be of general interest) :
https://edsbeer.blogspot.com/2018/11/a-visit-to-timothy-taylors-brewery.html

It's notorious for taking a *long* time to condition and most pubs don't give it the time. To be fair to them, they are very aware of the problem of poor cellarmanship and eg send someone round to places where they've picked up complaints on social media.
Thanks.

Short answer - 90min boil was the norm in many older brew books including the one that recipe came from (Graham Wheeler's book). Many of us do shorter boils now by upping the hops to achieve the same IBU.

It can be really hard to replicate British ales with their subtle hop/malt balance, I've been trying to do so for over 10 years and most recipes I've tried are not exact. Too many unknowns, especially the yeast, so manage your expectations if trying to replicate your favourite ale.

There are specific reasons for the boil. In the big mass produced breweries they can do proper lab tests to establish the right time for their boils wether it be 60 mins, 90 mins or 52 mins and 23 seconds. they don't want to be boiling for a second longer than necessary - time is big money in these places. Unfortunately us home brewers and smaller breweries don't have access to those state of the art labs so have to take a guess at what an appropriate minimum boil time is. I guess 90 mins is a as good a time as any, as is 60 mins as is 30 mins so long as the resulting beer seems fine.

The Wheeler/Protz book suggests Goldings and Fuggles for bittering and Goldings at 15 mins
The 3rd edition (without Protz name) lists Goldings and Styrian Goldings to bitter and Styrian Goldings at 10 mins

In the 1989 beer almanac the recipe was

Golden promise 100 percent
Worcester Fuggles
Styrian Goldings
East Kent Goldings

The book is by Rodger Protz

It doesn’t state however I reckon

East Kent Golfings 60 minutes
Fuggles 10 Minutes
Styrian Goldings 20 minute hop stand

The brewery carry out a hop back at the end of the boil.

With just golden promise that would be a very pale ale indeed to get the colour right I thing and addition of 42g black malt to the grist should give the Correct EBC

Back