Timothy Taylor landlord hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success replicating that citrus smell and taste in cloning TT landlord. It’s almost like the taste of a lemonade bitter shandy. The suggested hops I have had no luck with. Do I need to go to the American type ipa hops. Cites mosaic etc. Any help or experience would be helpful.
It’s not dissimilar to the abbot ale.

It's a cracking beer. I don't find Landlord particularly citrusy, it's very subtle to my palate and balanced with the malt.

Looking at clone recipes they seem to have late additions of Styrian Goldings (Celeia), so that's more than likely the hop responsible. With Celeia and either East Kent Goldings or Fuggles for bittering.

The yeast is also very important for the right flavours - WYeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale seems to be the one

I'm sure there's good clone recipes on here

To mirror what Jim has said I too do not find Landlord to have a citrus taste, I do find Tribute has and they use Styrian Goldings also called Celeia which will give a citrus finish especially in the last 15 to 10 mins. If you go down the American hops you are deffo going away from the real hops used

I guess our tastes are all different: was only saying yesterday how Abbot Ale is the only ale I really dislike. Yet I love Landlord.

As above, Styrian Goldings as a late hop are the key, I grow them and they are my go-to hop for late hopping. Landlord has been around for decades, well before the citrusy US hops appeared in the UK.

Hop additions are given in this recipe, but you might want to up the Styrian Goldings or even consider a dry hop Timothy Taylor – Landlord Premium Kit - The Malt Miller

It's a cracking beer. I don't find Landlord particularly citrusy, it's very subtle to my palate and balanced with the malt.

Looking at clone recipes they seem to have late additions of Styrian Goldings (Celeia), so that's more than likely the hop responsible. With Celeia and either East Kent Goldings or Fuggles for bittering.

The yeast is also very important for the right flavours - WYeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale seems to be the one

I'm sure there's good clone recipes on here
The one I have here has a string lime aroma. It’s like putting lime in a bottle of lager

I guess our tastes are all different: was only saying yesterday how Abbot Ale is the only ale I really dislike. Yet I love Landlord.

As above, Styrian Goldings as a late hop are the key, I grow them and they are my go-to hop for late hopping. Landlord has been around for decades, well before the citrusy US hops appeared in the UK.

Hop additions are given in this recipe, but you might want to up the Styrian Goldings or even consider a dry hop Timothy Taylor – Landlord Premium Kit - The Malt Miller

[/QUOTE
Yes. But I’ve used the usual hops but can’t get that specific aroma.

To my palette TT's has a zingy thing going on which I guess could be perceived as citrous or at least the zesty almost effervescent thing that citrous provides, but I think this comes from their yeast and not the hops. I've brewed TT clones several times and got pretty close...certainly close enough to 'fool' some people or at least cause them to make the comparison, but when you do a back to back the differences are obvious. I'm pretty sure I'm pretty close in terms of recipe, but obviously lack their house yeast which, I think makes all the difference.

I've not used the WYeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale though, might give that a go if I ever brew it again.

To my palette TT's has a zingy thing going on which I guess could be perceived as citrous or at least the zesty almost effervescent thing that citrous provides, but I think this comes from their yeast and not the hops. I've brewed TT clones several times and got pretty close...certainly close enough to 'fool' some people or at least cause them to make the comparison, but when you do a back to back the differences are obvious. I'm pretty sure I'm pretty close in terms of recipe, but obviously lack their house yeast which, I think makes all the difference.

I've not used the WYeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale though, might give that a go if I ever brew it again.
IVe used that yeast. Probably their yeast makes the difference cheers

This is the retiring Head Brewer giving a virtual tour of Taylor’s he states the ingredients within the video Wyeast 1469 is the closest yeast.

The Brewery yeast has been used since the 1960s so would be impossible to buy a equivalent exactly the same the malt miller premium kit is the closest clone I’ve found in a side by side test. As a aside I had a pint of Landlord in a pub at the start of may it was awful I took away from that I can brew a better version than that.

Last edited:
As a aside I had a pint of Landlord in a pub at the start of may it was awful I took away from that I can brew a better version than that.
More likely to be shoddy cask management by the pub than the brewery to be responsible I'd say - i.e. keeping it too long after pulling the first pint. So annoying when that happens, also hurts the brewery's reputation.

I’m inclined to agree the pub in question in the Calder valley is normally quite good but anyway I had a few bottles left of the last clone beer I did had that when I got home side by side with a bottle of landlord from Tesco mine tasted better but then again it had been conditioning for 6 months

My local does a cracking pint of TT’s. My favourite cask beer right now. The previous landlord didn’t keep it quite as well, was still good though so there is some care that needs to be taken but the landlord.

90 min boil ? Thought a 30 min boil is the 'new' boil ?

Yes East Kent Goldings as the Bittering Hop and Styrian for aroma and hopstand it does I’ve done the malt miller premium kit before it’s very close when giving time to condition of course in the brewery it’s pretty much a 7 day process.

I’m inclined to agree the pub in question in the Calder valley is normally quite good but anyway I had a few bottles left of the last clone beer I did had that when I got home side by side with a bottle of landlord from Tesco mine tasted better but then again it had been conditioning for 6 months
IMO Reliable quality cask management( of TT and the rest) in Calder Valley… Barbary’s, Old Gate, Top Brink, Victorian CBC, København, Fox and Goose to name but a
few. *Eagles Crag Tap Room*

This is the retiring Head Brewer giving a virtual tour of Taylor’s he states the ingredients within the video Wyeast 1469 is the closest yeast.

The Brewery yeast has been used since the 1960s so would be impossible to buy a equivalent exactly the same the malt miller premium kit is the closest clone I’ve found in a side by side test. As a aside I had a pint of Landlord in a pub at the start of may it was awful I took away from that I can brew a better version than that.

It's easy enough to get hold of their yeast. You just need to buy a pint in a pub and decant it into a bottle. Add a little sugar and wait a few days. Then you should have a layer of yeast at the bottom to make a starter from. Used to be the only way to get decent yeast.

Latest posts

Back