To Filter Red Wine or not ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to modern wine making and have started with the top end kits from Winexpert Eclipse, Selection etc

For the first few batches i have filtered both the reds (Barolloa, Merlot, Cab) and white (chardonnay) and although its fairly quick to filter the white wine, the reds take ages to flow through

I am using the Vinbrite filter and with the red i have found if i change the pad half way through its a bit quicker but its still painfully slow!

The question is, is it necessary to filters reds as you dont need the same crystal clear clarity like you do with whites?

I have never filtered wine and the kits i make although not expensive ones don't call for it, i have read filtering can strip out flavours so if the instructions don't call for it i wouldn't filter it.

I wouldn't filter the red either, but like chippy I havn't found the need to filter kits or wow's just a bit longer clearing in the shed has made them spot on.

On the odd occasion I have found bits in the bottom of the bottle and been concerned, that concern has magically vanished as I get closer to the last drops.

I'm glad this got asked - my Beaverdale has got to its lowest gravity so I'll be degassing it but all the while, in the back of my mind, it seems there isn't much in the wine to make me think there is much to fine and filter to begin with.

Seeing as this is my First kit and everything has gone normal, I'll see what unfining and unfiltering it will turn out like.

The Eclipse and Selection kits basically dont say you must filter they just say if you want to filter do it at the last stage.
This is done after finings have been added which helps clear it anyway. You then filter if you want around 10 days afer this.
the whites have been worth doing as it polishes them to a treat and only takes a few minutes. I thnk i will not filter the reds and try it as its a pain waiting around while it trickles through!

I only ever filter if the wine is particularly cloudy. In most cases fining and racking a couple of times is enough to provide decent clarity in both red and white.

Latest posts

Back