Tom Caxton best bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

This is a Christmas present so I though I would brew it ASAP to see what it was like. As a one can kit I added 500g of brewing sugar and 500g of Muntons medium Spraymalt. I brewed short to 20 litres which was actually shown as an option, unusually, and pitched at 22 degrees. This kit recommends that you pitch from 18 to 20 degrees which seems low for an ale but I still pitched over by two degrees as it should be fine. The kit also comes with a hop oil sachet to add to your taste and I added the full sachet as I like more bitter/hoppy beers. I will see if that was a good decision later on I am sure. Taste before yeast and hop additive was slight and malty, and after the full sachet of hop additive the taste was still malty but had a richer taste with a long bitter finish. Obviously this was change over the fermentation and conditioning process.

The OG was around 1044. After 24 hours there was a big foamy head and I will be leaving it for probably aronund 10 to 14 days before racking. Will do a review once it is ready.

Following just over a week bottled and under my stairs, I moved these to the Garage a week ago. This weekend thought I would try one (just to make sure that they hadn't gone off of course!) even though I know it is very early. The beer tasted a little pint bitter at first which was not surprising given its age but after a few mouthfuls it was very pleasant. Malty and sweet (I assume that will disappear as time goes on) fairly well carbonated (better than the Geordie Winter Warmer after 3 months!) and a taste that reminded me of the Wherry though not as good as that.

Overall I am really pleased with this so far and if I can keep my hands off it I will leave it for a few more months and it should be great.

it was the first brew I did bought as a present for my son who asked for assistance and I was totally amazed I brewed a beer that was mildly drinkable in 2014. after that it was a slippery slope to brewing nirvana :laugh8:

Back