Too much chocolate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of a brew. A take on teasel best bitter. I’ve misread the recipe and added 94g of chocolate malt instead of 22g. It is of course darker than expected. Normally I wouldn’t worry - I’d ferment it and call it an invention test. But this beer is for my sons wedding. How much of a balls up is this do you think. Is it just a colour issue or will it have greater effects on a 5 gall batch? Total grain bill was 4.4 kg.

It will have a deeper flavour but I would think it should be ok just brew and see and in the mean time put another on as a safeguard

Thanks. A second batch was my plan, it’s the only way I can be sure. I’ll have just enough time to get it ready. Will be interesting to see how the wrong one comes out.

I would think that 72g of chocolate will not over power the beer but will just give that bit more depth to it but deffo belt and braces for a wedding and set another goingathumb..

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve set it fermenting but I’ll do another run at it at the weekend. As the Baron says - for a wedding…
I’ve just got enough time to have it ready. This time I’ll put my reading specs on when reading the recipe.

Back