Too much head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt666

Reaction score
I've been brewing a wherry for a while and its currently on it's third week cold conditioning. It's not a bad pint but the problem I've got is there is too much head when it's poured. I have to pour it out of the keg incredibly slowly and horizontally with the glass, and even then it's 80% head which takes a few minutes to settle.

When it does settle into liquid it doesn't taste fizzy enough, like when you open a bottle of coke that's been shaken up.

What's caused this? I primed the keg with 85g of brown sugar, was that too much? Is there any way to fix it?

Hi matt :) what kind of keg do you have and what kind of tap? I used to have some plastic pressure kegs from Wilkinsons which had bog standard taps and gave a similar pour. I pushfitted a 6 inch length of ssilicone tube onto the tap which reached to the bottom of the glass and that helped to reduce the fobbing.

Wassail!
Phil

Matt i know what you mean mines the same, but what i do is turn the tap on very slowly with the glass at an angle until you just hear it hissing out the tap. it takes a bit practice. it works for me, hope it helps you..:hat:

Thanks, it is a Wilkinson keg with standard tap. I honestly don't think I could pour it any slower, it barely dribbles out, and i hold the glass practically horizontal! I'll try the silicone tube, maybe that will eliminate what little agitation it gets by hitting the bottom of the glass. Where did you get it from and what diameter?

I got mine from the local home brew shop, but a bit of pvc tube will do.just as well. Its been a long time but I think the taps on the wilko kegs need a bit of 12mm tube.

Back