Top Cropping Whitelabs English Ale Yeast WLP 002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBWood

Regular.
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

My most recent AG batch is safely tucked up in keg and bottle and, for the first time, I collected the yeast slurry which can hopefully be reused.

I tried the rinsing techniques posted all over the internet but, to be honest, didn’t really see any discernable separation between the good and the bad. Anyway, what I did collect is in the fridge and I’ll decide upon the wisdom of using it shortly.

When I posted some queries regarding crash cooling the brew the unanimous decision was that it was better practice to top crop and I want to have a go at this next time around.

There are loads of videos out there of collecting the slurry but I can’t find any demos of scrapping the stuff of the top.

Could someone with the knowledge give a quick step-by-step of the process please ? What I’m missing is once you’ve scraped the yeast from the surface are you covering this with partly fermented beer from the fermentor ? Is it just the yeast ? Do you add water ???

Regarding WLP 002 itself, has anyone out there successfully top cropped this yeast ? It fermented extremely well but I don’t think it produced as big a yeast head as other fermentations I’ve witnessed. Is WLP 002 suitable ?

Thanks in advance ?

A

what you should do is when the brew has a big foamy head remove the very very top layer off and discard (this will have hop bits and other **** floating on it ) then you collect the rest of the good foam and keep in a jar in fridge etc , you need to use this quickly really (a week ) if you wish to leave it longer till you use it then add some beer to the jar to keep it healthy but you still need to use it quick ish (a few weeks at best ) Come brew day while boiling wort (half way through) take around 500ml of wort , cool it etc and add to yeast to get it going again and it will be active by the time you're ready to use it

Cheers Pittsy,

Going to give this a go next time around and see how it goes.

It will need to be kept for a few weeks between brews so I'll take your advise and cover it with beer ( and then make a starter just to be sure )

Anyone out there tried this with WLP 002 ?

A

I have used this yeast more than any other so have tried all ways of re-using it. I have had problems top cropping with this one for some reason, it could just be me. Re-using from slurry I have found easier. You are right about the way it settles but I have just poured off any beer and used the top of what is left. The method I have used most is to build up to a 2 ltr starter, split 6 ways and use each one to make a starter when needed.

Thanks Dennis,

Glad to know its not just me can't make out the seperation line with this one.

If the slurry still looks / smells / tastes ok in a few weeks when I do the next brew I'll make a starter with some of the top layer under the beer.

Cheers

A

It flocculates incredibly well which makes it difficult to top crop as it drops out fast and works from the bottom of your fermenter. It is definitely at the far end of flocculators!
I've tried rinsing the slurry and found it difficult to discern between layers.
The yeast I salvaged worked incredibly well though with no offs or nasties.
Its great for a fast turnaround and gives good flavours. :thumb:

Thanks Stuey,

Thats good to know and exactly my experience. I cooled this down after fermentation complete and its my clearest and best tasting brew to date. Also my fastest fermentation; it was over and done with in 4 or 5 days. I did leave it though for about 10 days in total just to clean up.

Just need to wait a few weeks for it to get into shape but its already easily drinkable now. (Timothy Taylor Landlord attempt with Aurora hops as the 10 min additions)

The slury smells completly fine, captured in a preserving jar in the fridge, but I won't be able to brew again for about a month. So, will decide upon making a starter with it nearer the time.

Will deffinately be using this again.

Cheers :thumb:

A

I've found with an AG IPA you can brew week one, crash cool and rack to cask week 2 and be drinking week 3.
Its rapid, clean tasting at around 19C ferment and gives a lovely bright beer especially when combined with finings adjuct in the fermenter and a cask fining of some sort. :) :thumb:

Back