Pickled eggs...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifty

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got a great thing going where I give a mate my spent grain for his chooks, and he gives me eggs. But I'm inundated.
20240524_153334_copy_1245x734.jpg

Someone suggested pickled eggs so I could serve them with home brew to guests, which sounds great, but I've never tasted one, let alone make them.

Simple recipes available online but I'd be keen to hear about proper pub style ones (if that's still even a thing?)...

I'd quite like a jar of weird, spicy orbs to offer to people... 🙂

Ah wish I'd known that. Gave it a go this morning and shells were a nightmare to get off. Never figured out the secret, sometimes they slide off perfectly, these were very fresh, maybe that had something to do with it....

Anyway, simple pickle liquor of white vinegar, sugar and salt, augmented with garlic cloves, a bay leaf, peppercorns and chilli (all seived out, which is why it looks a bit insipid).
So now we wait...
20240525_100457_copy_734x993.jpg

Gave it a go this morning and shells were a nightmare to get off.

This may be why -

What causes hard-boiled eggs to not peel well?

Hard-cooked eggs may be difficult to peel if they are very fresh. This is because an egg shrinks inside during storage, which pulls the inner membrane away from the inside of the shell. For this reason, a hard-cooked egg will peel more easily if it has been stored for 1 or 2 weeks before it is cooked.

Thanks. Suspected that was the case. I've cooked them exactly the same way and had very different results between batches...

As an aside, I had a couple of hard boiled eggs left over that wouldn't fit in the pickle jar. I tried shaking them in an old jam jar with a little cold water today to break up the shell before peeling and it was 90% efficient. Still a couple of sections where the membrane adhered and bits lifted, but far better peeling method...

Back