total newbie with first experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesloan

Reaction score
never made homebrew or anything not even from a kit.
so decided to give homebrew a whirl
hooch will be my first experiment
my own verson (hope it works even if tastes like sh1t)

so heres a basic recipe im trying

100g granulated sugar
apx 200ml hot water

add to wine bottle (cleaned)

top up with cold water,
add yeast 1 flat tablespoon
and seal

in apx 10 days i may get a hydro thing to test the alcohol percentage ( if there may be one ????? )
and if it has made alcohol ...i plan to maybe filter the liquid and add a flavour

(i understand people often add fruit juice to the brew when making)

Hi - it's great that you are interested in making your own beer and wine, but I worry that the results might put you off homebrew for life.

If you don't have the equipment to hand, why don't you try one of those 'beer in one bag' kits. You just add a little tap water and you'll get something beer-like at the end. Moonshine make one, and I'm sure others are out there too.

Then if decide you decide home brew is something that interests you, you can start to get some of the kit.

And don't seal the bottle, it will explode.
ok i now made some small holes in the seal to allow some stuff to escape
if it produces alcohol i will start by doing things better ... remember this wernt planned i just thought hey i have yeast,sugar etc.. lets try making alcohol

Hi - it's great that you are interested in making your own beer and wine, but I worry that the results might put you off homebrew for life.

If you don't have the equipment to hand, why don't you try one of those 'beer in one bag' kits. You just add a little tap water and you'll get something beer-like at the end. Moonshine make one, and I'm sure others are out there too.

Then if decide you decide home brew is something that interests you, you can start to get some of the kit.
if it produces alcohol i will start by doing things better ... remember this wernt planned i just thought hey i have yeast,sugar etc.. lets try making alcohol

i am not a beliver of just adding water to a kit to make a standard brew.
i like to add this,add that and if it dont work take something out ,replace or just try again

Of course it will make alcohol, but it will taste like water. I am not sure your experiment will teach you anything.

Yeast+water+sugar = alcohol

This is an already proven fact.

Latest posts

Back