Transfer to corny without gas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justink

Reaction score
Hi,

I have purchased a couple of cornys (couldn't resist any longer!) but not yet got any gas for them. still trying to source a cheap supply locally....

So....can I keg directly to a corny without any gas or do I have to have some gas on hand to seal it up and push the oxygen in the top out...??

If you prime it as you would any other keg then it should carb up if you leave it in the warmth. You want gas to serve though. The main point with Cornys is that you don't have to prime, just force carbonate, thus ensuring less sediment.

You can get mini co2 injectors that use the soda bulbs. I can't link as I am on my phone. They are quite usefull. You may struggle to carbonate with them however but they are good for abit of pressure and also useful for serving away from your main co2 when u get one ( such as party's! Woot!

if you add priming sugar to keg then that will create co2 but you dont know if the lid has been properly sealed and the co2 will have no problems escaping if there is a loose seal, leaving you with flat beer, i usually give my cornie a blast at 20 or 30 psi before im happy my lid is sealed correctly. i would wait for the gas.

abeyptfc said:
if you add priming sugar to keg then that will create co2 but you dont know if the lid has been properly sealed

Been thinking exactly that. Would rather know all the seals are fine by pressurising it first and then put the beer in and re-seal.

I'll wait to find some gas....which isn't proving easy......well not for something reasonably priced anyway!

:cheers:

As mentioned before...Priming and using one of these to seal?!
cornelius_keg_charger.gif

ended up ordering a regulator from Norm and managed to find a local co2 supplier. £60 deposit (refundable with no time limit) and £15 for the gas and no monthly rental. Seems reasonable. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back